Any Outlaw love?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris Fleming, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Chris Fleming

We see alot of SVS/HSU sub talk here, but not much about Outlaw. What is everyone's opin of Outlaw subs?

I think I read somewhere that Outlaw's LFM-1 sub was actually designed by Dr. Hsu. Can anyone shed any light as to whether this is true or not, and what gives?

Anyway, the LFM-1 is another sub $600 SW that has impressive technical data, so I was hoping there may be some folks out here who have experienced all three sub brands, and could give their thoughts on how they compare.

Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A local guy compared the PB-12 to the LFM-1 in his home. The LFM was sold shortly afterward. His only comment to me was the PB-12 was better.

It's not that there's no love, just not as much love for that particular sub. Not so much Outlaw activity around here like there used to be back when the 950/1050 first came out, and more recently when the 970 and 1070 were discussed. A buddy of mine has a 1050 and he loves it.

I'm curious to see a review from one of the resident sub guys on the new Athena subs though.

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

4. Chris Fleming

Thanks for the input guys. After reading the review from the link Curtis posted, I may have to add the Outlaw to the auditioning list.

Later

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I love Outlaw products. I have their 950 pre/pro and a bunch of M200 monoblock amps. Used to own their 1050 receiver and loved it. But when it comes to subs, I'll take SVS any day.

6. Peter Marcks

Peter Marcks Stunt Coordinator

Dear Chris,

The Outlaw is a great product! The subwoofer has a very slick plexiglass top. Also, the ports and driver are oriented such that the subwoofer can be placed almost right up against any corner with no problems, with the ports and drivers shielded from the hands of children. And yes, Dr. Hsu did assist in the design of the subwoofer.

All in all, a really great value [​IMG]

Sincerely,

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chris

The Outlaw is a nice sub, but not a bargain at $580 plus shipping. When Outlaw had a bunch of B-Stock for $399, with only a slight defect with the plexiglass, it was a very good buy.

At $580 plus about $65 shipping, there are some subs that will go deeper for the same price. For example, SVS 20-39PCi will go both deeper and louder. John already mentioned PB-12. Then, of course, there is the ever popular PB-10, if you do not need a crossover.