What's new

Any Outlaw 990 owners here? (1 Viewer)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Any Outlaw 990 owners care to share their thoughts on this piece of gear? I'm thinking about selling my Rotel RSP-1066 in favor of the 990.

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my review on the 990, the 970, and the Yammy 2500 used as a pre/pro:

processors.dblattman.com/

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 990 and I think it sounds phenominal! I paired it witht he 7125. The 990 is my first pre/pro. I always had a reciever and boy did I notice a difference. It has so much more of a punchier sound. I couldn't be happier. I'm sure the Rotel is a find pre/pro as well.

Brian R

Stunt Coordinator
I replaced my RSP-1066 with the 990 in June and haven't regretted it. What sold me on the 990 was the added setup flexibility and features that it offers over the 1066. I'm sure you've researched the 990 so you know what it offers that the 1066 doesn't.

Here's biggest advantages for me:

The 1066 has been discontinued for quite some time, the 990 is just starting its life cycle. Independent crossover settings, more optical inputs ,bass management for the 7.1 channel input, phono input, Upsampling mode for 2 channel sources, front panel inputs with optical in, Dolby Headphone and autosetup. I haven't used the DVI switching but will be in the next couple of months.

Does it sound better than the 1066? I can say it sounds different and to me different in a better way. I think it sounds more open and clear, maybe not quite as laid back as the 1066. Of course thats just my opinion and your results may vary depending on your speakers and amps.

ricky ho

Stunt Coordinator
I replaced my 950 with a 990.
Still learning about the different features on the 990. So far, haven't had to use a sound pressure meter to fine tune my speakers as the auto set up does a great job.(using a SMS-1 for the sub). Had to buy HDMI to DVI cables for digital hook up to my TV and dvd player.Unit has 2 DVI inputs and 1 out, so I have 1 input waiting for a PS-3.
Dolby pro logic 11x is a great feature the 950 didn't have. I like that the unit has a usb port for future software upgrades.
So far i'm very happy with the 990 it sounds great.No buyer remorse.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I went from a Lex Mc1 to a 950 back to an MC1 then to a 990... The 990 sounds just as good as the Lex if not better... The former Mc1 is an 6 year old piece might I add.... What I always loved about Lex was the neutral to somewhat warm sound field.... The 990 duplicates that, if not better....

Feature wise, the 990 will have pretty much everything you want guys....

Unless you drink that Logic7 Koolaid.... :D (RAF)

Here were my original comments...

Coming off a Lexicon MC-1 Pre/Amp.... Just received my 990 today... Setup was an absolute snap... Took me approx. 30 minutes to unhook all of my Lexicon wires as well as re-direct all video sources from my Inday switcher to the 990... OSD via the S-Video display was straight forward and easy... Setup all sources within 1 minute... I must admit, I have not even read the manual yet, so I’m sure more complex setup is in store.... I setup all speakers to small, and crossover to 80Hz across all 7 channels....

As far as gear I’m using Paradigm Studio 100's for mains ver3, Studio CC for center, Studio ADP's for sides, and Studio 20's for rears...Subwoofer is an SVS Ultra SS… Amp is Outlaw 770... DVD is Panasonic RP-91.. Projector is Marantz VP12 S3 with Hd2+…

I have listened to this unit for approx 1 hour so there will be more to come....

I'm extremely impressed at the video switching.. Video looks better than my Inday switcher.... Shaper, more detailed image.... Not by much, but an improvement.... I was watching Discovery HD Theater and they had one of those blue and black frogs.. I can't remember my image looking any better.......

I always found the Outlaw 950 to be Neutral sounding… My Lexicon MC1 was warmer and more precise with imaging and had a larger front sound stage to my ears….. I say without question, this 990 is as good, or better than Lexicon sound…..

My first audio demo was Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones… That initial SW opening crawl with the John Williams score is always my personal first test for any new audio gear…. The front soundstage on this piece (990) is just enormous… Front Soundstage imaging from the 990 was exceptional, and more detailed than my MC-1…. My front stage has never seemed so big and wide…… Sound panning from speaker to speaker is also flawless……. Natural sounding and lifelike…. Bass effects low coming from my sub seem much more detailed, and the upper range bass freq above 80hz from my Paradigms also seem tighter….

Remote control is easy to use, and bright blue keys illuminate…. I have so much more to setup and try….

Highly, highly recommended…

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies. Since Outlaw has a 30 day trial I'm going to give the 990 a try. Probably should get a new amp too. :D

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
I put off checking one out because I didn't think I was missing anything...boy was I wrong! Wish I would have checked it out sooner.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I've been with Outlaw since the 1050, 950/770 and now the 990/770. Great sound (and bang) for the buck. No complaints at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks