Any other PC Engine fans out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven K, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Even though it failed in the US (thanks to poor marketing by NEC), I consider the PC Engine (Turbo Grafx 16) to be one of the greatest systems of all time. Hard to believe that this system came out only a year and a half after the NES in Japan! The Japanese games were simply amazing for the time (Batman... whoa!).
    Anyone else out there enjoy this system as much as I did (and still do)?

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have a TG-16 and I can say that it was pretty amazing for the time. I don't remember the games I have (haven't touched it in years) but they looked pretty good and played really well for being on those tiny cards.

3. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Steven I wouldn't say it was a failure. The TG16 was a fantastic system, had still to this day the best quality handheld and was one of the founders of cd console gaming. Blazing lasers, Bonks adventure, Timeball, Neutopia...man I could go on for a long time. [​IMG] The SNES and Genesis came a dime a dozen but to find a complete TG16 is a true treasure. Still one of my favorite systems.
    Dean

4. Steven K

Dont get me wrong, I dont think the system was a techincal failure at all, but rather a financial failure for NEC.

5. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Count me among the fans of this system. I still own a TG16 and fire it up on occasion. Some of that stuff was way ahead of its time.

6. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I had the TurboCD. If you ever played "Y's", you know the sound in that game is breathtaking. I still have my "Y's" cd and play it on my PC using an emulator called MagicEngine.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have heard good things about Y's and the whole series. I hope that someone starts taking games from old consoles (like Phantasy Star and Ys) and starts releasing all of them on discs for PC or one of the next-gen consoles. I don't care if they don't have spiffy graphics, just so long as the games are playable.

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

One title makes the PC Engine worth owning:
    Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
    There are a lot more titles out there that are excellent, but damn Dracula X: Rondo of Blood just rules.

9. Steven K

Kelley speaks the truth! Dracula X is, in my opinion, the best Castlevania game ever made for any system. Good luck trying to find a copy now for under $100.
    Other notables:
    Genka Fukei Densetsu Sapphire- AKA just "Sapphire," its one of the rarest games out there and usually fetches $300+.
    Hot Blooded High School Dodgeball
    SF2:CE (with a 6 button controller, of course)!
    R-Type I and II

10. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Ys IV is also another rare find worth quite a bit aswell.
    Dean