Any other Nomad Jukebox owners out there? If so-a question.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Bardon, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I just got a 40 Gb Nomad Jukebox 3 last month, and it's probably one of the coolest portable devices that I've owned in a while. A little bigger than the ipod/nomad zen, but the dual batteries, dual line out, and onboard recording make the slightly larger size well worth it for me. Anyhow, one of the things that I've been using it for is to listen to audiobooks in the car. I've been playing around with an Mp3 joining program to splice the many files in a book into a single large file, since with the Nomad's bookmarking ability it's a little easier to manage a large file than remember where you were in a playlist. Anyhow, I noticed that if I tried to create a file that's longer than about 20 hours, the track length shows up as 00:00:00-is there a limit to the track length on the Nomad?

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Wow, 20 hours per track, that's quite alot, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Nomad engineers simply didn't consider that anyone would do that.
    I can't give you any concrete info, but it does strike me that if they use a 16bit integer to store the track length (reasonable for an embedded device), and store it as number of seconds (also reasonable for the type of device), then the greatest time that could be stored would be about 18.2 hours.
    What happens after that point could be either
    A) They don't consider that scenario, and the number wraps back to zero, so 20 hours would be about 1.8 hours on the display.
    B) They detect that situation and set the track length to 0 internally so it display as 00:00:00 no matter what the actual length is.

In either case it might case all kinds of problems with operation, such as fast forwarding past 18.2 hours might bring you back to the beginning. There may also be some limit to max the file size that it can play correctly, perhaps in the range of 2 to 4GB.

Play around with it and let us know what you find, it's a curious piece of trivia at least.

-- Dave

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Dave-that actually makes a lot of sense. I never even considered that they'd store track length as a 16 bit integer, so you're probably right. I split that one 23 hour file into two smaler ones that recognized, but I'll try a few variations on 18, 18.2, 18.3 hours etc and see what happens. Either way though, I think you might have hit it.