What's new

Any other Lovecraft fans here? (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
How many fans of H. P. Lovecraft are here? Everyone here raise a tentacle, or fin, or something...
wink.gif

I wish someday someone would do for Lovecraft fans what Peter Jackson is doing for Tolkien fans. Of course, it's rather difficult to put undescribeable horrors that drive one insane up on the big screen.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Best case scenario for something inspired by him has to be In the Mouth of Madness. But there are a whole lot of Lovecraft inspired drek out there.
Hey, did you know a huge amount of his work is archived on the net? I have a whole bunch of his work on my Smartphone/Palm to read when stuck in lines/boring meetings.
Go here!

Mark Lee

Second Unit
I used to be a Lovecraft fan (for about 3-4 months), during which I accumulated all of those paperbacks of his stories (the ones with the red eye on the back). However, I have to say I got really tired really fast with his constant why-use-one-adjective-when-four-or-five-would-be-better style of writing. Gotta love those "hideously winking moons" and "eldritch miasmal vapors" or whatever....
confused.gif
His very poorly-concealed racism didn't help matters much.
Still and all, "The Call of Cthulhu" is a good story, and it's interesting to read "Rats in the Walls" alongside Stephen King's "Jerusalem's Lot" (a nice little Lovecraft homage).
------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm not much into horror fiction but I really enjoy Lovecraft's writings. I'm still waiting for a good, serious, film adaption of one of his works. Sounds like a good job for, say, David Lynch? Also, as I've mentioned before, it'd be nice to see Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane on the big screen...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I only know one thing about H.P. Lovecraft: his creation Cthulu is supposedly the biggest badass of the literary world.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Let's see, Matt Chmiel has Rini Bell, NickSO has Mena Suvari, John Williamson has Ivana Milisevic, and Steve Gon has Emmanuelle Beart...who the hell do I have???
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

BryanS

Agent
I was in Boston recently for a wedding and my friend and i drove down to providence to see his grave.

Joel Turpin

Agent
A brief time spent playing the "Call of Cthulu" role playing game, a truly disturbing game if played correctly, got me into Lovecraft. I'd love to see someone take him seriously enough to craft a good film.
Joel

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Lovecraft is my favorite horror writer. I find the density and descriptiveness of his prose unique and it is what attracts me to him. And I am very attracted to the idea that the perception of other worldly beings and extraterrestrials could be beyond human comprehension and unhinge the mind.
I'm not sure a good, true Lovecraft movie could be made, I just wish people would quit making awful ones.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I quite like several of the Lovecraft movies that have been made. In the Mouth of Madness is a favorite and Re-animator, well, I'm a fan of gore movies so there's no complaint there :)
But I would love to see a big-budget, fairly faithful treatment of something like Shadow Over Innsmouth or At the Mountains of Madness.
why-use-one-adjective-when-four-or-five-would-be-better style of writing.
Ah well, that's just part of what makes it all so wonderful.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
why-use-one-adjective-when-four-or-five-would-be-better style of writing
Otherwise known as the "pulp" style. You do realize those writers were paid by the word, right?
wink.gif

Anyhoo, Stuart Gordon (director of RE-ANIMATOR and FROM BEYOND) is about finished with DAGON, a semi-faithful version of A Shadow over Innsmouth. Early reviews look good, but it doesn't have a US distributor yet, IIRC. Hopefully, it'll get a release and not go directly to video.
Other good "Lovecraftian" movies: Ghostbusters, Alien, Star Trek 1 and the Evil Dead series.
...and in a few hours, I'll be headed over to Renton to play Call of Cthulhu, with the new d20 rules.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yeah I read Lovecraft as a teenager, really creepy eerie [hey nobody uses that word anymore, eerie, I miss that word, say it one more time, eerie] stories.
For Lovecraft fans I would highly recommend reading William Hope Hodgson's 'The House on the Borderland', which is very Lovecraftian, this novel scared the crap out of me when I was young, one of my favorite novels by any author.
Brian Lumley a more recent horror author writes fantastic horror novels in the Lovecraft tradition, and even includes the unspeakable Cthulhu in some of his books, his Necroscope novels are superb.
I have more horror fiction by Lumley than by any other horror author, well worth seeking out.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "The Ressurected". IMHO, its the best 'big budget' lovecraft movie made. Its based on "the Case of Charles Dexter Ward", and is much more like the original story then that awful Corman/Price version.
Big Question: When will it be out on DVD? Who knows.
I'm also pretty excited about DAGON. I've seen some indie versions of the Shadow of Innsmouth, and I think the story would make a great feature-length film. (If your interested in the indie versions, go to http://www.hplfilmfestival.com

TimDoss

Second Unit
Big fan. I haven't read his stuff in years though...
I need to go back and re-familiarize myself.
I did really like Re-animator and From Beyond... and
thought In the Mouth of Madness was just ok.... has anyone
seen The Unnameable? I saw it as a teenager, before I started reading Lovecraft, but I don't remember if it was
any good... is it worth revisiting?

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
The Unnameable is pretty standard horror stuff. It has little to do with the original Story. Its your basic "kids in a scary house chased by a monster" movie.
In the original Lovecraft story, the monster was called "Unnameable" because it was a giant blob. In the movie it was more of a demon-type. (which looked just like the monster in Castle-freak... and lurking fear...)
Read this:
"It was everywhere - a gelatin - a slime yet it had shapes, a thousand shapes of horror beyond all memory. There were eyes - and a blemish. It was the pit - the maelstrom - the ultimate abomination. Carter, it was the unnamable! "
Still a good story, and better then the sequel. Its another lovecraft movie NOT on DVD.
In fact, what Lovecraft movies are on DVD?
I have the 2 re-animators, castle-freak, mouth of madness, the thing, and the 3 evil deads DVD.
The rest of my collection is on TAPE, waiting.....
(ie Ressurected, Lurking Fear, From Beyond, Prince of Darkness, haunted palace, necronomicon, cthulu mansion,2 Unnamables)
Well, Cthulu Mansion is NOT lovecraft. They just stole the name. I think the Dunwich Horror is out on DVD, but I havnt found it yet....

Julie K

Screenwriter
Dunwich Horror is on DVD and is priced nicely since it's an MGM Midnite movie. It's really dated, and kind of tacky, but wasn't nearly so bad as I thought it would be.
Die Monster Die! is another Midnite Movie and I've heard that it was based on Colour Out of Space, but I've never seen it.
Prince of Darkness is OOP on DVD.
I'm also looking forward to Dagon and can't wait to see it, actually. It would be nice if it could get a theatrical run.
------------------
My DVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks