Any other Klaatu fans out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike_decock, Jul 26, 2002.

1. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

After 20 years I'm still compelled to pull out "Hope" every now and then. Just curious if anybody else is still stuck on these guys.

-Mike...

2. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I really liked that album when it came out. I'll bet I haven't listened to it in at least 12 years or so. Remember all that "Beatles" hype? Their second album, "Sir Army Suit" I believe, had a couple of good tunes but that was about it, as a whole it wasn't very good.

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Mike, you go ahead and pull out Hope. I, however, will stick with their brilliant debut album Klaatu! [​IMG]
    Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
    Sub Rosa Subway
    True Life Hero
    Can you dig it, man? [​IMG]

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I loved CALLING OCCUPANTS OF INTERPLANETARY CRAFT till The Carpenters did a cover of it![​IMG]
    Todd Rundgren was alledged to be behind Klaatu at one point too. SIR ARMY SUITE was there third album, I think, and I loved it. I liked every Klaatu album I ever heard. I think I just heard the first four. They put out a couple more years later that are a mystery to me.
    ANUS OF URANUS, SELL OUT SELL OUT, HOWL AT THE MOON, TRUE LIFE HERO, LITTLE NUTRINO, ROUTINE DAY....I remember Klaatu fondly!

6. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Thanks for the memory-jogger, gang! Klaatu was among my faves 25 years ago; I've always loved 3:47 EST (their first platter), and I was particularily thrilled and moved by Hope. The third album, Sir Army Suit, was a decent pop record, but paled in comparison to the first two. I'm off to my basement to root out those old records now...Cheers!

DS.

7. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

You folks owe it to yourselves to try and pick up "Peaks," a terrific compilation CD from all of Klaatu's albums.

I was just thinking about adding some Klaatu songs from "Peaks" to my iPod, but now I'll definitely have to!

8. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I think I have everything Klaatu on CD or LP, multiple copies of some of them. The obsession started when I was 11 and my brother had "Hope". I used to play it over and over except I would skip "Madman" 'cause it was kinda creepy.
    I kind of forgot about it until I was about 17 and saw the album in a used record store. I rediscovered it and started collecting their albums. I even have Sir Army Suit on 8-track [​IMG].
    The funniest thing about this obsession is that as the years went by, I would hear snippets of music that reminded me of them. The strongest impression was when watching McDonald's commercials. It was something about the orchestration and composition.
    Years later I found out that in fact Dee Long had been writing jingles for McDonalds among other things. Good to know I wasn't imagining things, but recognizing an obscure artist's work 20 years later is a little odd.
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one who knows about these guys.
    -Mike...