What's new

Any other iPod users? (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I don't mean to ruffle any feathers...but I never understand what people mean when they say this. True, the thing is expensive (I won't be buying one anytime soon) but the drive used in the thing sells alone for the cost of the ipod...the ipod is just a highend product. Someday it will come down in cost.
Since edigital's MP3 device comes with almost twice the HD size for $150 cheaper - wouldn't that make the iPod's price "out of wack"?

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,
I believe the price is in association to the actual size of the drive. I have yet to play with one but I believe the whole device is smaller than a pack of cigs and larger than a zippo. With apple products you always pay a little more for the style and quality.
The newly re-introduced imac: http://www.apple.com/
is a beauty to behold. Say what you will but you can't deny that apple products don't have personality! The price is also very reasonable. In fact I don't believe there is currently a winpc equivalent at this price point. If I just didn't buy a powerbook a few months ago, this would be my computer.

Patrick_T

Agent
Since edigital's MP3 device comes with almost twice the HD size for $150 cheaper - wouldn't that make the iPod's price "out of wack"?
The ipod uses a brand new size-leading drive that costs 400 dollars retail with zero features. Apple has managed to buy them, wrap a wonderful mp3 player around it, and sell it at the same price as the original retail price of the drive..I think they are selling the mp3 player at a wondeful price for its features. True, I wish they would have the option of a smaller drive for less money, but that isn't there current market. I'll just wait it out till their price matches my desire to own. Also, once you use an apple ipod and then use anyone elses player you will see where your money went.:)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
The reason the drive is $400 is that it's a 5 gig firewire drive. A 5 gig internal or a 5 gig external USB is much cheaper.

It's really like any piece of high end gear. You can buy a great CD player for $200, or you can buy a great CD player for $2000, what matters is if you think you are getting your money's worth.

I have hear many rumors about a remote plugging into the headphone jack, which I think the unit could really use.

-Max

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Not necessarily. That logic would make most cars "out of wack", or many of the amplifier or reciever discussions over in the hardware forums;)
I don't own an iPod, but everyone I know who has had an opportunity to use one, skeptical non-Mac users who dismissed it by pricing at first, were surprised and very impressed, and stated that descriptions and pictures simpy don't do it justice. Comparisons of HD space seem, to me, to be missing the point. Equally, if not more relevant, is the build quality and industrial design of the product and the user interface, and of course it's data transfer speeds and other uses. In other words, the pleasure or owning and using the product.
Starting this week you can control your home theater system with an iPod.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
DonRoeber,

At Macworld San Francisco yesterday, Griffin Technology introduced PodMate, an infrared device that attaches to the iPod converting it into a universal remote control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks