Any other Gypsie Moth Catapiller invasions?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Van Dyke, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Mine and surrounding counties are infested. These things are disgusting. Am I the only one?

When we call the state, we're put on a "list".

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I was living in Connecticut when those vile things took over back in '81. They were freaking *everywhere.* I was in school at the time, and they sprayed the trees one night. The next day, the parking lot and sidewalks were literally carpeted with caterpillar carcasses.

Of course, my fellow 12-year-olds and I found all kinds of disgusting ways to dispatch the little critters.

Ryan

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    This spring was bad but wasn't infestation quantity. I saw them in the trees out hiking but were not all over our property like some years.

My father used to burn them in their nests.. very flammable and lots of carnage!

Jay

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Yeah, I remember being in Westchester, NY in the spring in the mid-80's and there was a huge infestation... walking through the woods you could hear the droppings hitting leaves on the way down - sounded like an never-ending April shower. Whole swathes of trees were left defoliated, like a deciduous boneyard. Hrrifying.