Any other fans of "Industrial" music out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul h, Jul 5, 2001.

1. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

I know many people have different views on what Industrial music actually is but i'm using it in the broadest way, i'm thinking along the lines of NIN, FrontLineAssembly, Skinny Puppy, Marilyn Manson etc.
    Looking for any recommendations of stuff that i might not have heard...
    Among the stuff i've already got are:
    VNV Nation, Professional Murder Music, Nitzer Ebb, Skinny Puppy, Front242, Gravity Kills, FLA, Intermix, Equinox, Hednoize, KMFDM, Stabbing Westward, God Lives Underwater, Ministry, Tea Party, Econoline Crush, Xymox, Revolting Cocks, Meat Beat Manifesto, Pitchshifter, Haujobb, Velvet Acid Christ, Apoptygma Berzerk, Sulpher, Project Pitchfork, Decoded Feedback, Cubanate, Curve, Die Krupps, Diatribe, Noise Unit, Misery Loves Co, Recoil.

2. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I've been out of the industrial loop for some time now, but a few other groups come to mind. One is Murder, Inc. And the other is a Al Jourgensen side project entitled 1000 Homo DJ's. It has a great cover of Supernaut. Trent Reznor does the vocals, but he's uncredited and the mix makes his voice sound like Jourgensen. They had to do this for legal reasons, if memory serves...
    Oh, and if the box set "The Black Box of Industrial Music" is still in print, pick that up. It comes with a great booklet with industrial music info and trivia.
    And FWIW the Revolting Cocks cover of "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" is an all-time classic.
    -Jason

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

4. Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson Stunt Coordinator

i've worked with mark spybey and would recommend some bands that he turned me on to:
    this heat
    neu!
    faust
    can (with damo suzuki)
    he was once part of zoviet france and looks to be part of it again. he mostly records under the name of dead voices on air.
    also, check out some coil and throbbing gristle, throbbing gristle are often called the progenitors of modern industrial music - their label, industrial, is where the genre got it's name.
    a
    ------------------
    visit neverville

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I got to meet Genesis P last year, it was pretty cool. Also check out Psychic TV the band he formed after Throbbing Gristle.

6. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

VNV are superb...Empires is a fantastic album. I have heard of Wumpscut but haven't picked anything up by them yet.
    That OhGr project sounds interesting and i know that Rhys Fulber has his own stuff coming out under the name Conjure One which should be well worth checking out.

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Oh you should also check out Tear Garden, which is cEvin Key's other band(cEvin key was also in Skinny Puppy). their first set of albums are incredible, "Tired Eyes..." is brillant. Also KMFDM are back together and in the studio working on a new album!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT! KMFDM was one of my favorite bands in high school and the day they broke up I was so sad, for they really were the last hardcore American Industrial bands out there.
    If you like Empires, you should try to get Praise the Fallen....great album also. Now with :Wumpscut: get Dried Blood of Ghomorra, Music For a Slaughtering Tribe, Evil Young Flesh, Embryodead, and Bloodchild. All of those are just incredible albums.
    Oh yeah VNV Nation has a new album coming out in October! Can't wait hope they tour again.

8. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Have you picked up Loaded by Unit 187? great album.
    Also Circle of Dust brought out a cracking album called Disengage...might be hard to get hold of tho.
    Will get Praise The Fallen and the new album!!
    New FLA album coming september/october..
    I'm gonna try that Tired Eyes cd...i'll let you know what i think.

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Just a bit of a warning about Tear Garden, they don't really sound like Skinny Puppy at all. Their sound is closer to bands like VNV Nation than SP.....but they do rock and are brillant on Tired Eyes. You and Me and Rainbows is incredible and Ophilia is just a damn good song that is hard to beat. If you are on broadband I would be more than happy to rip the album and let you taste it. let me know, my AIM id is neurofiction and my email should be listed here.

10. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Thanx for the offer but i dont mind taking a chance and buying it, i checked out some reviews of it on amazon...they were all positive so with your recommendation as well thats enough for me! Plus i can get it for £8.49 which is cheap here in the UK for a cd.
    Have you heard Mesh? another sorely underrated UK band, sound very much like Depeche Mode but at times a little harder.

11. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I have not heard of them, what albums do you recommend? I am more than up for a harder sounding Depeche Mode(4 more days until I get to see DM live, so excited). You live in England......hows the EBM/Industrial scene over there. because as I have stated I think the Industrial scene here in America has one foot in the grave and the other on its way in. But hopefully the new KMFDM album will save it some. Metropolis is trying real hard with EBM/Industrial and they are making a great strides with all the excellent EBM they are releasing.
    Ok I just looked up info on Mesh, aparently their last album was released on Metropolis here in the US, I have great faith on anything on the Met label(as it is home to :Wumpscut:, Fictional, VNV Nation, Wolfsheim, etc. here in the states).

12. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Seriously if you like DM and Wolfsheim then you will absolutely love Mesh! like VNV they so deserve more commercial success, their last album The Point At Which it Falls Apart is superb...
    Check out their website, they have tracks from all their albums you can listen to in their media section.
    http://www.mesh.co.uk
    let me know what you think of them..
    As for the Industrial scene over here, well it's ok but about the only place that has clubs etc that play the music is London. There are some good british bands though like Mesh and Sulpher...again they just get nowhere near enough recognition.
    Hey, 4 days till you see DM, we've gotta wait till October here !!!

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Since you shall buy Tear Garden I will buy the new Mesh CD, and yes I do like it....atleast the samples I heard.
    Have you heard of Cleen? A friend of mine has been telling me to check them out, and lo and behold I finally do, and I really like them.

14. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Yep, heard of Cleen but another band i havent heard anything by...going back to VNV did you get Standing (Burning Empires)?, ltd edition 2cd with remixes of tracks from Empires.
    You would probably like Eon:Eon by Project Pitchfork, the 1st 3 tracks on there are amazing and well worth getting the album for...i know Amazon.com have some samples of the 1st 5 tracks.
    There is a great website over here that stocks loads of EBM/Industrial stuff and they do ship worldwide...guys there are very helpful, i've used them a lot.
    www.music-non-stop.co.uk
    Have just ordered Dreamland by The Nine which i've heard is a stunner so will let you know, should have it in a couple of days.

15. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

God I wish I Standing(Burning Empires) as Standing is my favorite song by them....I will admit that I do have the album on MP3, but hey thats what they get for only releasing 2500 copies of the album in the US. Eon:Eon is a good disc, have you heard the new PP CD??? If not don't it sucks a big load, IMHO. Totaly not worth the wait. Haven't heard anything by The Nine. Look forward to hearing what you have to say about them, also I look forward to hearing your comments on Tear Garden. I have broused Music-Non-Stop before, but I normally usewww.industrial-music.com which supports Metropolis and they are responsible for bringing bands like Fictional, Wolfsheim, Wumpscut, VNV Nation, etc over here to the US.

16. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Ouch...just looked on ebay and a Burning Empires cd is upto $56 with 7 hours left !

17. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Thats nothing I saw an autographed copy of it go for $285.....VNV Nation fans are rabid! I just hope they release more than 2500 copies of their new album [​IMG]

18. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

hmmmm...maybe i should go to their next gig and get mine signed! they're playing in London soon with Sulpher, should be a great gig. Did you pick up Pure by Gary Numan?, i think thats a great album.
    Got Dreamland by The Nine this morning, think it's fair to say you should get it! sounds great so far..listening to it as i type. About half way through and it's all good so far, some great keyboards and lyrics.
    [Edited last by paul h on July 11, 2001 at 05:00 AM]

19. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Hey guys... just saw this topic today. I've been a big fan of industrial for quite some time, and you have listed some good recommendations.
    Skinny Puppy is one of my favorites (as are F242, FLA, and Haujobb).
    I can definitely recommend Cleen - it's put together by one of the members of Haujobb. If you like Haujobb and experimental industrial like that, definitely check out Lassigue Bendthaus - brilliant stuff, if you can find it.
    Other recommendations: Spahn Ranch, Download (another Skinny Puppy member project), X Marks the Pedwalk (GREAT EBM dance industrial), Equinox (FLA side project), Pro Tech (another FLA project, but amazing stuff).

20. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

I forgot to add De/Vision to my list, another great band.
    Just read that Tear Garden have a ltd edition CD coming out in a few weeks...
    For Those Who Would Walk With The Gods
    CD Tracklisting : 1. Circles In The Sand, 2. In Search of My Rose, 3. Sheila Liked The Rodeo, 4. Ascension Daym, 5. White Coats and Haloes, 6. Isis Veiled, 7. You and Me and Rainbows, 8. A Ship Named "Despair", 9. The Running Man, 10. Malice Through The Looking Glass. EXCLUSIVE TRACKS : 11. Good Evening Houston, 12. Good Night Little Lights. Released 7th August 2001