What's new

Any Other Collectable DVD Aficionado's Out There? (1 Viewer)

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
I've been collecting DVDs since their inception back in 1997. I have over a 1,000 standard issue DVDs and probably 50 or so what I call true collectables; academy/emmy screeners, promos and autographed DVDs. In addition to several OOP Criterions and others(Little Shop of Horrors, Devil's Advocate, etc.)

Recently,I came across this:

These were given out to guests at the 2004 AFI Life Achievement Award honoring Meryl Streep. From what I understand, there were only a few hundred produced. The package includes 10 DVDs and this baby is sealed. I'm real tempted to open it, but I won't. The DVDs themselves are standard fare, with special slip covers for each disc.

Anyone else have something to share? I'm interested to see what others are collecting.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Sweet.

I'm not planning to part with my Boogie Nights screener that included the John Holmes documentary (for those not keeping score, the documentary was subsequently dropped).

The American Beauty Academy Screener is also treasured, along with the one for Magnolia.

Little Shop...Devil's Advocate...My Man Godfrey Criterion, which had the wrong cover artwork...

Others.

- Steve

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Those are 3 screeners I don't have. Not yet anyway.

And, 2 of my most prized DVDs autographed by Frank Darabont...

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I picked up a "Smallville" 2002-2003 screener DVD about a year or so ago, and that's the only real hard-to-find collectible DVD in my collection. Came close to snagging an Emmy screener DVD of the "Enterprise" third-season finale, but missed out on it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The "Godfrey" cover art was missing "The Criterion Collection" across the top. It had to be redone.

- Steve

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Here's one of the first screeners I ever got. Have never seen one of these since. It's also sealed.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Many of the screeners I got were check discs. They shared little or no resemblance to final packaging, with hand-written labels.

That is why I would get very, very odd (and sometimes envious) looks when I would pop in a non-descript DVD and the resulting movie would be... well, something that was some months from an actual street date.

Ah, those were the days. Now I stand in line at Best Buy with everyone else.

- Steve

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Sling Blade -- signed by Billy Bob Thorton at an advance screening of a working print of "All the Pretty Horses".

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
You can find TONS of screener-type stuff at thrift stores and used record stores in the Los Angeles area. I went there last year and picked up stuff including TV show Emmy discs (since the broadcasts are unwatchable, guess they need these with no commercials or onscreen crap to influence those who can vote!) and a "For Your Consideration" screener of Catch Me If You Can, which I already have the regular disc of, this has an onscreen "Not For Sale!" message every few minutes. Got a couple specials that likely will never be sold commercially, like the TV Land Awards and MTV Music Video Awards from last year. Wish I could get out to that area more often.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have some screener DVDs of the TV show 24. I have the Emmy screeners for Season Two and the one for Season Three. I also have the press screener of the first two episodes of Season Three. And that freebie for Season Four's premiere that was given away in Enetertainment Weekly a few months ago. Needless to say, I'm a big fan of that show:)

I've got the old Alien and Aliens DVDs signed by Sigourney Weaver. And a few DVDs signed by Kevin Smith.

Although my personal favorite is a Chasing Amy laserdisc signed by Kevin Smith that says "Fuck DVD! Kevin Smith"

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I have a DVD of Before the Rain that was produced the Ministry of Culture of the Macedonian Government. It was only to be given out to dignitaries of other governments, etc. Only 1,000 were produced. From what I heard, Quentin Tarantino had to beg to get one of these DVDs. I had to go thru hoops but I eventually got one. The transfer isn't great, but it is non-anamorphic widescreen.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Prentice, you suck. :) (Love that movie!)

I've sold most of my OOP DVDs (Criterion's The Killer, Little Shop of Horrors, etc.). I also had a copy of the limited edition tin (100 copies) of a documentary on Ralph McQuarrie - sold that too.

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Here is what I believe to be an Academy screener of Malena. Very plain with printed text on the disc. Came in a jewel case and is shrink wrapped. Nothing on the back of the jewel case.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I have Penn & Teller Get Killed signed by Penn & Teller on laserdisc. Both Penn & Teller were very surprised to see it. They stopped to talk to me about for 5 minutes with tons of other people lined up for autographs.

--Ian

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Ian,

That just made me think of something. A few years ago I bought The Buddy Holly Story DVD. Later, I was able to get Gary Busey and Don Stroud to autograph the DVD. I handed Gary the DVD and he said "what's this?". I told him they had just released the movie on DVD and explained it was a new video format. At the time he didn't know what a DVD was. Kinda funny. BTW, Don Stroud is a really cool guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks