What's new

Any opinions on the Toshiba 40H80? (1 Viewer)

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Well my Toshiba 48" went south all of a sudden, (the red CTR went terribly out of focus for no reason) and it's about time to replace it anyway. I'm sittin about 13' from the screen and I'm concerend that a 40" 16:9 might be a little small. It measures 4" wider than the 48" which is cool because of the size of the wall it will have it's back to.
Meaux
no big screen for the GranPrix this weekend:-(

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
I did see a price at ExTeme Shopper this AM, 40H80 for $1526.99, now it's not there! WAS a good deal anyway. Should have ordered it right then.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Sounds kinda small to me, I'm considering a 42H81 (?) for my room, with a viewing distance of 7.5 feet. Other than that, the Toshibas seem to be well-liked here.
I'd look at a bigger model if I was you.
/Mike

Butch Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The 40" is really small when you see it in person...
When i saw it at BB, I was like "Where's the rest of it?"
It's one of those cases that for the same price (or close to it) you can get a bigger one...

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
TV's look a LOT smaller in the store than in your living room! The Tosh 40" does look tiny in Best Buy.. in fact, a 50" set looks quite small too. A 40" set, in a small living room (e.g., mine!), is a pretty big piece of furniture!
My viewing distance is around 6.5-7ft though (in a 10x11 room, with the set a couple feet from the back wall.) At 13.5ft (if you're going to keep that distance) I would stear you far, FAR away from this set. Costco had the 65H80 for something crazy like $2999.99, I believe. There must be other prices close to this.
Even a 55" at that distance would be too small, imo.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Bill's set looks great!! I did have an oportunity to view a ISFed 47" Panny a couple of days ago. AWESOME!! The guy paid about $1700 for it. If you cant find a 40 " tosh, or want something slightly bigger get the Panny.
Gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Jim Kirkman

Agent
At viewing distance of 13ft the 40H80 would be too small IMO. At that distance I would look at the 57" set or larger.
It's hard to tell in the store how big the set will look in your home. I've seen some people make a cardboard mockup to see how big a set will look in the home.
At my viewing distance of 7ft., I decided to get the 40H80. I was concerned that the 40" set looked small in the showroom, but my local shop said they would be glad to exchange it for a bigger set if I didn't like it at home.
But what looked so small in the big showroom ended up looking MUCH bigger in my living room.
It all boils down to how much space you have at home and personal taste. Some like to feel like they are close to the screen, and some do not.
Try out different sizes at your viewing distance with the type of material you like to watch and see what you like.
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks