Any Opinions On The STR-DA2ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Looking at purchasing this unit, I have not heard anything other than people thought this was a upgraded str-db1070. Does anyone own this unit, and what are there experiences with it. I am considering buying a str-de985, but I am wondering if this would be a better unit to purchase. I have a medium room, will this provide ample power while maintaining good sound quality. Any comments are welcome.

2. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

I have a SONY DA4ES. IF you go to :http://www.elegantaudiovideo.com and go to the receiver section and select SONY, scroll down to the bottom there is a good listing of features on this model.

Looks like the only differences between the 2 and the 4 is 6.1 vs 7.1 (6 ch amp vs 7ch amp and 100 watts vs 110).

ALso if you got to www.crutchfield.com you can see the back of the units in a large picture and see if there are any differences..use the Xtra large pix on this site..

IF you understand the difference between 6.1 and 7.1 then you could make the decsion 'easier; you can also see some good prices on this site. I got my receiver here.

I have the 7.1 capable but am only using 5.1, in a small room, its great, I am going to add asingle rear for those few 6.1 DTS-ES 6.1 DVD's out there. But this is NOT necessary for a good HT...one of those 'wonder if I spend more $$$ if this would make things sound sooo much better...!!"

Gud Luck!
    Alex

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Brian,

There was a thread in this forum a few months back discussing the STR-DA2ES as a pre-pro. As I recall, a few members were running it in this configuration with an external amplifier - and they were quite pleased with the results.

I've also read where the true "ES" line starts with the STR-DA4ES. However, not knowing much about the construction of your particular model, I'll refrain from commenting.

What is most important is that you are happy with your purchase. If you're happy with the features, the sound, the performance, etc. - that's all that matters. Finally, you have a solid 5-year warranty which will be there should anything go wrong with the receiver in the next 5 years.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

it's a great receiver

5. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I have it (the STR-DB1080 actually) and like it (features, flexibility...). Whether it is suitable for you depends a lot on how efficient your speakers are. I'm sure it will sound better than the DE.