any opinions on the Sony KP-57WS510

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam_mmm, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Adam_mmm

Adam_mmm Agent

This set had a real nice look at sears http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-6484_7-20890080.html (Sony KP-57WS510). However, the salesman told me that this was an older line of tv's and that sony had a more advanced line that came out this year for their rp line. Does any one have this set or the 51" or 65" versions? and what do you think about the characteristics

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    As far as I understand it, the 510 series IS new for this year. It replaced the older 500/600 series. Sony also has a 550 line, but I'm pretty sure the 550's have an integrated HD tuner.

For what it's worth, I have a KP-57WV700 and absolutely love it. The 700 series has also been phased out recently, but from what I've researched, virtually all of the important features of the THEN top-of-the-line 700 have been rolled into the 510.

All of the Sony's support 720p (converted to 1080i) and have DVI connections. The wide zoom stretch mode provides a very effective compromise for 4:3 material, and progressive scan DVDs look fantastic. I felt that the Sony performed better than most other sets in displaying standard-definition material as well.

Of course, like all RPTVs it requires proper setup and calibration with a disc like Avia or Digital Video Essentials - be sure to do this with whatever set you end up getting.

Good luck!

-Jason

3. Adam_mmm

Adam_mmm Agent

jason,
    thanks for the info. i am just curious if you have recently seen any other 57 inch that you think outdoes the current sony model?

4. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    There are none that outdo mine - my TV is the BEST!!!! [​IMG]

Actually, a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I remember being quite impressed with the Toshiba mobels as well as a Hitachi that I saw at a local Circuit City. I was never much drawn to the Mitsubishi's, though they seem to be quite popular among other forum members.

One thing with the Sony's is that they tend to have a slightly more "grainy" picture than others. IMO, I prefer a slight bit of grain to the "clayface" look that some other TVs produce. Out of the box, the Sony's can be VERY grainy, but that is minimized (though not completely eliminated) by disabling the SVM and other picture "enhancements". The result is a very filmlike appearance and I feel it also helps to hide some of the image defects and compression artifacts inherent in standard definition broadcasts.

I can't really provide you with many specifics on other models or brands - the best you can do is try and find a store that will let you fiddle around and really do meaningful comparisons. In the least, they should be able to provide a Standard Def. signal, and hopefully won't be afraid to let you bring in some of your own DVDs to demo and try out. I got my set from a Tweeter store and the service was impeccable. MUCH better than anything you could ever hope to find at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. The price was the same, but I'd have paid a little more in return for the excellent customer service.

-Jason

5. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

The Perfect Vision's latest issue compares 6 HD RPTVs- The Sony 57ws510 takes the top honors. I'm not saying that mag reviews are the best source of info, but it's a safe bet that the Sony is a capable set. If you like it, that's all that matters.

6. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I have the 57WS550. I have not seen the WS510 model. I have read several posts over at AVSFORUM where someone has stated that the 550, as well as having the ATSC tuner, is a new chasis with several improvements over the 510 (same guns though). You might take a trip over there and scout around for information. The 550 apparently has a better anti-glare screen - again, I can't comment - just passing on information.

BTW - I thought the 510 downconverts 720P to 480P.

Here's one link I was referring to (am I allowed to do this?????) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=ws550

N

7. Adam_mmm

Adam_mmm Agent

if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the 57550

8. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Adam, you have a PM.

N