Any opinions on the Sony KD-30XS955?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Robinson, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Kevin Robinson

After a long wait for my 32" 4x3 Loewe to be repaired, it looks like I'll have to consider buying another monitor. The part my Loewe needs seems to be in perpetual backorder and Loewe has not been responsive at all with the repair center. I've waited 5 months with no TV and I think that's long enough. I knew I wanted to spend around $1500 or so and I knew I wanted a tube set (I don't think the flat panel technologies can yet deliver the kind of pure blacks and detailed picture I want). The Sony 34XBR960 set looks pretty impressive, but too expensive for my taste and too large for the TV cabinet that will be storing it. This unit (30XS955) looks like a good compromise. My main questions: How does this look with DVD? Thats's mostly what I'll be using the set with and want the DVDs to look their best. I know some HDTVs look great with a HDTV signal and turn to junk when upconverting a 480i signal. Also- I previously borrowed a friends 27" Sony Wega for a few weeks. Black and white images had a horrible sepia tone to them, regardless of the set's color temperature setting. I rectified this by messing with the service menu and finally eyeballed a decent grey scale. Can I expect the same from this unit and if so, can anyone point me in the direction of some service menu instructions for this specific unit? I'm also thinking of ordering from Crutchfield online-any opinions?
    Thanks for any advice or opinions out there. I wouldn't dream of spending over $1000 on a new piece of AV equipment without at least a few opinions from this board.

2. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Probably the best 30" CRT TV out there right now.

SD's gonna look kinda messy, no way around that. 1950's era signals on a large digital TV is never pretty. You see every flaw in the signal. With adjustment it will look better.

DVDs look INCREDIBLE. Tell someone it's HD and they might believe you. Of course make sure you have a decent progresive scan DVD player, I'd recommend the Sony 975...with the COMPONENT cables. Save the HDMI for something TRULY HiDef.

HiDef prefomance is outstanding. The 3D effect of some materials really come across. The color accuracy is 2nd to none. Again, some calibration is in order: but that's true of any TV you purchase.

Well worth the money. Nothing else comes close in 30".

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I would agree with Peter.