Any opinions on the Onkyo dxc380 CD changer ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Sep 24, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Any opinions on the Onkyo dxc380 CD changer ?...I'm looking into purchasing this unit this week, can anyone help a brother out with an opinion ? [​IMG]

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Anyone please ?

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I don't remember exactly, but I did buy an Onkyo disc changer, I think it was the model you listed. I sold it back because I realised that I didn't need a CD changer for my setup, but the player itself was fine, I had no problems for the short amount of time I owned it.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, I have very little experience with Onkyo CD changers, and frankly, I haven't read much about them on this site or any other message boards. The names that usually come up in CD changers are Sony, Denon, and Marantz. That is not to say that Onkyo changers are bad. From what I have seen, the build quality is quite good for the price, and the six-disc capacity is unique. I have always felt the remotes could be designed better, as they have very small buttons that are all the same shape. In any event, I have two Sony CDP-CA80ES five-disc carousel changers and a Denon DCM-370 five-disc unit and have been very happy with them. In the end, you ought to just pick up the Onkyo and try it out at home if what you see of it in the store or online appeals to you. If for some reason the Onkyo were not to work out, there are plenty of other choices priced similarly.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm undecided between the Onkyo unit or for another $50 bucks pick up the Sony es70 changer ?...What do you guys think ?

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'd go with the Sony ES . usually better build quality and all ES models have a 5-yr warranty.
    i was actually considering the same thing about a month and a half ago. i went with the Marantz CC-4000, but i'm now sending it back b/c i want something that plays DVD's and SACD's. the Marantz has a great, clean sound and the build quality is good for the $250 i paid. (i also happen to think it looks awesome!) i was surprised at how fast the discs change and play. purchased at hifi.com in early august.
    hope this helps
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony,
    Again, I haven't listened to the Onkyo player, but the Sony CDP-CA70ES is a solid player. It is a step below my CDP-CA80ES. The 'CA80ES is built a bit more solid and has a better DAC, but the 'CA70ES is quite good for the price. As Thomas said, you get a five-year warranty with the Sony ES player.
    Thomas,
    Are you now looking at the Sony DVP-NC650V carousel SACD/DVD changer? It's an interlaced DVD player and should be out soon. Crutchfield is taking pre-orders on it for $400. I have the Sony DVP-C670D DVD changer and have been quite pleased with it for the price, so I would expect the 'NC650V to be a solid unit. That said, I have to wonder if the 'NC650V or a similarly priced DVD/SACD player would be as good with CDs as your Marantz CC4000.
    I saw the Marantz CC3000 and CC4000 at a local dealer last week and was quite impressed with the build quality of both units. The carousel drawers are very smooth and fast. Frankly, I didn't notice a difference in build quality between the two units, so I presume that you are paying for a better DAC and possibly other better internal parts with the CC4000. Unfortunately, my dealer did not have the CC4000OSE. That's the changer I really wanted to see there since they stock Marantz.
    By the way, Marantz is supposed to be coming out with a carousel DVD/SACD changer soon. I don't know the model number or when it will be out. I also have not heard if it is going to be an interlaced or progressive-scan DVD player. Coming from Marantz, I expect it to be expensive and to be a progressive-scan unit.
    ------------------
    My:

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Keith-
    i think the only difference in the 4000 and the 3000 is (if my memory servers me correct) the 4000 has a headphone jack with volume. that's it. the OSE is a little harder to come by and slightly more expensive.
    yes i'm looking at the 650V very closely Keith. i'm almost ready to preorder at J&R for $350, but now that you mention that Marantz has a similar unit coming out, i might wait for that one. do you know if it will be in the same price range as the Sony? i love the quality of Marantz and, yes, the tray on the CC-4000 was very well built and very efficient.
    anthony- you really can't go wrong with whatever you choose. all of these are fine players, but i'd suggest either the Sony ES or the Marantz. good luck man!
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thomas, Crutchfield is selling the 'NC650V for $400, so $350 from J&R is obviously a great price. You might also check Oade Bros. at 1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480. Oade Bros. is an authorized Sony dealer and generally has the best prices on Sony gear. J&R often matches Oade Bros.' price. OneCall at 1-800-340-4770 is another option.
    I would expect the Marantz SACD/DVD changer to be considerably more expensive than the Sony 'NC650V. It will be Marantz's first SACD player with DVD capability, by the way. Marantz hasn't made an SACD player for less than $2000 yet. I believe the SA-14 stereo SACD player goes for around $2500, and the SA-12S1 multi-channel SACD player is up there as well.
    Frankly, I expect the Marantz SACD/DVD changer to be a very nice piece. Marantz's SACD players have been excellent thus far. I'm sure it will be much better than the Sony 'NC650V. Sony is starting to bring SACD to the masses, while Marantz is sticking with the high-end market. The 'NC650V will probably be available in Best Buy and/or Circuit City. So, I'm sure the 'NC650V will be a nice piece for $350-400, but it is not going to be high-end. As I said, I have a Sony DVP-C670 DVD changer, and it is a quality player for the $367 I paid, but it isn't high-end.
    I saw an ad for the Marantz SACD/DVD changer in a hi-fi magazine recently, but I don't recall which magazine. I might have it at home. Anyway, I couldn't find any information about the changer on Marantz's web site, so I guess it isn't out yet. I believe Marantz only shows products that are available currently, not those that are forthcoming.
    ------------------
    My:

10. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I think I might jump on the Sony ce775 SACD changer. I might as well, becuase if I end up buying a cd only player now, I'm eventually going to sell it or something, especially now you could pick up the sony sacd player (changer) for about $300....thanks for the advise guys
    ps
    I didn't read any good reviews on the marantz -3000 unit (hi-fi magazine)the british one.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, for the money, the Sony SCD-CE775 is a good choice. Stereo SACD is noticeably better than CD, and from what I have read, multi-channel SACD is better than DVD-Audio. I have two stereo SACD players, and the format is superb. Unfortunately, I haven't heard multi-channel SACD yet.
    I am not sure how the 'CE775 compares with CDs to the Marantz or Sony ES CD changers that are similarly priced. All reviews I've read on the 'CE775, including many on this site and Audio Asylum, applaud the CD performance of the 'CE775 for the price. I haven't heard the unit, but I find the build quality to be lackluster. For example, the Marantz CC4000 and Sony CDP-CA70ES CD changers are built better. Of course, they don't play SACDs.
    ------------------
    My:
    [Edited last by KeithH on September 26, 2001 at 09:19 AM]

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i think BY FAR the coolest thing i've read about SACD is that the dual-layered discs have a SACD layer and a normal CD layer, so those titles can be played in ordinary CD players. www.sony.com/sacd (i think). that's the coolest thing i've heard for a long time!!
    oh yeah, and congrats on picking up a great new player Anthony! you'll love sound (and expandability to SACD). i don't think you'll regret spending the extra $$ to save some in the future. as for me, i think it's time to pre-order a Sony '650V.
    thanks KeithH!
    [Edited last by Thomas_Berg on September 26, 2001 at 12:58 AM]

13. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Thanks guys, I just orderd my SACD player !!!

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thomas,
    Glad to help. When you get the 'NC650V, please post a review, including what other components (CD and/or DVD players) you are comparing it to.
    Hybrid SACDs are great, but keep in mind that at present, Sony Music, the primary label backing the format, has not produced any hybrid discs. Only the smaller labels and Virgin have produced hybrids, and Virgin has just one SACD out currently. Newer Sony titles have both stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks, but no CD layers.
    Anthony,
    Congratulations on the purchase of the 'CE775. Let us know your impressions when you get it (CD, stereo SACD, and multi-channel SACD).
    ------------------
    My:

15. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    think it's time for a new post...
    [Edited last by Thomas_Berg on September 26, 2001 at 12:39 PM]