What's new

Any opinions on the new Panasonic 47" HDTV line? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
I am interested in the 2 new models they have in production now. I was gaming on a 46807 Mitsu but I need a stand for it and I heard some quality issues here and there. Has anyone compared these models? Thanks

Mike Carroll

Auditioning
I wouldn't call Panasonic bad by any means, the quality of the picture after proper calibration is stunning, particularly with DVD's. Out-of-the-box performance may not be ideal, but you can say that about most RPTV's in general. Every manufacturer has its own quirks and shortcomings, pick the one that suits your needs. Don't listen to general statements and you'll be just fine.
I am in the market for one right now as well, and the Panny 47 and Toshiba 50 are at the top of my list. This is the fun part!
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Basically, if you're looking for best out-of-the-box performance, check out the Tosh 50"
However if you're willing to put work into the set, and want to save a few hundred bucks, the PT-47 is not a bad set by any means. Since you're going to want to ISF calibrate either one, the pictures are going to look remarkably similar in quality--this is from several ISF calibrators who post here, hometheaterspot & avsforum.
My PT-47 looked horrendous coming out of the box. Doing basic 9 pt convergence and AVIA calibration made it look pretty darned good. Doing the service menu 64 pt convergence, along with fixing the red push (about 5% now) and cooling down the gray scale makes my set look very good to excellent. If I can get a good ISF'er out here to get 6500K grayscale, I'll be sound as a pound.

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Keir,
Read all the threads on Hometheaterforum.com and Hometheaterspot.com and come to your own conclusion. I was just trying to save you a little time so you could order the Tosh now :) The Panny is a great set, but why settle for just great?
Pete
[Edited last by Pete B. on August 08, 2001 at 05:55 PM]

Richard Freeman

Auditioning
I love my Panasonic. Unlike some other folks, mine looked great right out of the box. Lucky I guess. After getting into the service menu it really looked GREAT! Directv looks great. Progressive is excellent and Interlaced DVD ain't bad either. I only wished I had access to HD. Cant wait. Very pleased with build quality. It is just the right size. Very easy to handle and not too heavy. Without doubt the best TV I ever owned.

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
I was just trying to save you a little time so you could order the Tosh now :) The Panny is a great set, but why settle for just great?
Maybe he can live with "great" if he has the extra $500 in his pocket!
wink.gif

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
If you don't mind me asking, where can I get one of those Pannys shipped for $1500?
Pete

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
If you don't mind me asking, where can I get one of those Pannys shipped for $1500?
Pete
I paid $1700 for my Panny and the Toshiba's cost $2200 = $500! Or you tell us where you can get the Toshiba for $2000.
wink.gif

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Out of the box, the Panasonic is much further away from a properly calibrated picture than the Toshiba. The good news is that the set is pretty tweakable. Grey scale tracks almost perfectly flat, the color decoder can be adjusted (somewhat, anyway) and you can set the picture controls well enough in the service menu so that you never really have to touch the user controls (except to account for poor or improper sources).
I think they are both great sets and the difference in selling price is perfectly justifiable.
[Edited last by JohnnyG on August 09, 2001 at 03:50 PM]

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Here's one for $2075 shipped:
http://www.continentaltrade.com
Guess that's a $375 difference if anyone can actually get the Panny at the same price you paid. Care to tell us where you bought it?
Pete
PS. JohnnyG will be retracting part of his last post shortly. Seems that you can't have different video setting for all your inputs on the Panny. Another nail if you ask me!

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Pete - retracted, but the net effect really isn't much different. You can still get a reasonably good balance across all input types without ever having to touch the user controls. It's not perfect, but you'd really only see that with test patterns.
I still say they are both great sets. If you find value in the extra features and slightly bigger size of the Toshiba, then lean that way. If you'd like a new TV and a progressive scan DVD player for the same money, lean toward the Panasonic.
No need for a holy war here, folks! The more 16:9 sets in people's homes, the better!
------------------

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed Johnny! I'll get off my soapbox now :) Just want you to know that we appreciate all your input, whether it's concerning Panny's or Tosh's. Now all I need to do is talk mamma into getting one of the Tosh's I've been trumping up over the last few threads :)
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks