Any opinions on the new Mitsubishi platinum RPTV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanaA, Dec 29, 2001.

1. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Was just at Good Guys and saw a 55" that really looked nice and also included a built in HDTV tuner, as well as IEEE 1394. Previously, I was pretty set to buy the Sony 57" HW. Any opinions on Mitsubishis. I understand something about buying home theater audio equipment, but this is my first RPTV and this board could really help out a complete newbie to this arena. Thanks.

2. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

I was in the same quandry not too long ago. I thought I had my mind made up on a Mits. RPTV.

Then I saw the Pioneer. WOW! it made me rethink my decision.

Briefly, Here is what I figured out from this and other forums:

The line doubler is trash in the Mitsubishi. It basically makes watching satellite and cable torture. (Not to mention over-the-air broadcast!)

The Pioneer has one of the most highly regarded line doublers in the industry. (For a RPTV)Many people cannot even distinguish a difference between it and their progressive scan DVD player. It's that good!

The Mits also suffers from a rather sever "red-push".

(See hometheaterspot.com for more, way more, on this)

You will need to build an attenuator to correct it, and install it on the component cable.

I was worried about the ghosting and vertical banding problems that everyone seems to be addressing regarding the Toshibas.......so that ruled them out.

It seemed that there was a flaw in just about every manufacturer's RPTV!

But time and time again, people were comparing everything to the Pioneer. It seemed to be the one that all others are judged by.

The Elite series costs much more, so it should be better.

However, the regular Pioneer line is virtually the same set (minus the gloss-black piano finish and some other, minor details) and it costs about TWO GRAND less!!

This puts them in the same class as all the others.

To me, it was the best bang-per-buck.

Go check them out and let us know what you think!

3. DavidMich

I almost forgot:
    You need to check out www.hometheaterspot.com. They have posts separated by manufacturer. You can get alot of insight about problems and what to expect from each.
    Good hunting!![​IMG]

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Thanks a lot for your response David. I have looked at the Pioneers and the Elites are very, very nice. If I recall, the Elites also have provision for IEEE1394. They're just a bit out of my price range right now. Darn, I thought the line doubler might have been improved on the Mitsubishi by now, but I guess not. Anyway, I bought one which will be used mainly for DVD's. I am aware of The Home Theater Spot and love it. Actually, that's how I found this site. Again, thanks for your response.

5. DavidMich

Yes, the Elites are pricey!

That's why I got the regular Pioneer. The picture was as good as the Elites, and I didn't really need that fancy Urushi black finish.