Any opinions on the new BOSE 701's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I am looking to upgrade my Def Tech 2000TL's and came across this fabulous speaker at Best Buy [​IMG]
    Seriously, has anyone heard these? Do they sound any good? I noticed that they have some rear firing driver...they are billed as "direct/reflecting", but is this somewhat similar to bipolar/dipolar?
    These speakers list at 1000/pair.

2. Evan A

Evan A Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend that has some from the early 90's. Those are what gave bose a name. Like all bose these lack any good highs / mids.
    Get better deff techs!
    ------------------
    --------------------
    Evan Adams
    [email protected]
    --------------------

3. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Definitive Technology speakers are much, much better than anything Bose has put on the market. Bose doesn't have superior sound quality; they just have name recognition. They are also popular because the speakers are very small; they blend in with decor, making them "wife-friendly."
    As a matter of fact, Bose sound quality is inferior. There is an artificial bump in the mid-bass that makes male vocals sound "chesty." There is another artificial bump in the upper midrange that causes listener fatigue (though at first, this makes the speakers "jump out"). Really deep bass is absent. Resolving power and tonal accuracy are poor.
    If you're not happy with your current speakers, shop for alternatives, but cross Bose off your list. You won't find any better speakers than your DefTechs in a Best Buy; the next step up tends to be offered only at specialty hi-fi stores.
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

4. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Shame on you. You said the Bose word. Anytime you mention Bose on-line, expect to inundated with negative responses.Even people that apparently never heard them, hate them.
    Go listen. If you like what you hear, buy 'em. But listen to other speakers as well before you make a decision.

5. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

The problem that most people have with Bose products are very legit. Personally I agree with most of the gripes. I think that many times people look at product and say "Oh that (insert any HT product here) sucks." I think that the Bose 701s are not bad speakers, just not $1000 speakers. So listen to them yourself and decide what you think. I think that Def Technologies or Paradigms for the price would be my choice. Just make an informed decision and you will be happy in the long run.

6. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Run, Run very fast away from the B speakers [​IMG]

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Some of you may have misinterpreted my comments...I have the Def Tech 2000TL's (list 3k/pair) and they are truly amazing speakers (I have yet to hear better and I have heard Martin Logan, Mirage, Dynaudio etc.)...I'm sure they are 50 times better than the BOSE and I was just kidding about wanting to replace them [​IMG] I was just wondering if BOSE 701's are any good (do they use decent drivers in this model that aren't cheap paper cones?). They are fairly new apparently and they seem to be a bit more conventional in design then their other speakers, and I just wanted to know what people thought of them. But I will agree that 1k/pair seems to be a steep price if they are still using cheap paper drivers and cheap material.

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Yo can read my comments and those of others in this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/039794.html
    For Home theatr applicatons your Def Techs are some of the best aroundand the DefTech centers are worlds better that anything Bose has to offer. This ain't no upgrade for you!
    I am a former 701 owner and they are not new models. They have been around for quite some time and last I knew they still employed paper drivers.

9. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

The only way to discover if Bose speakers are any good is to a/b compare them to something else.
    Sadly this is not possible at a store like Best Buy.
    ------------------