Any opinions on the Denon DVM2815?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Anthony.L, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Extra

I did a search on this and didn't find any info. I was looking at the 2200, but now my cd changer is acting up too. How will this be in replacing both units? I had a HK 8300 CD Changer and a Pioneer DV505. I don't have a great TV, so audio is more important.

Thanks in advance.

2. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I have it. Cannot compare to other Denon players as I have never used another. Picture is good compared to a previous Sony progressive player. I don't like not having the S-video active when progressive output is chosen (the Sony would output interlaced video over the S-video output even when progressive output was active allowing for a/bs etc). The response from button presses etc is a little slow. It can be tricky figuring out what # disc you have just put in for cueing-up (no lit indicator anywhere) as you have to go by dark markings on the tray (bad in a dark room).

DACs appear good - I've just gotten into DVD-Audio. But currently I'm only playing DVD-A in 2-channel until my new receiver arrives so can't offer an opinion on it's multi-channel abilities. Sonically, the DVM-2815 is definitely a step-up from the Sony NC655P I was using in the HT - I've noticed that just from 2-channel.

I know many folks get annoyed by the Sony's incessant function of starting to play the last disc when you power up but one thing I really liked on the Sony was you had the option of it remembering the last point played for the last 40 discs used. Huge bonus with my kids who constantly chop and change what they are watching. On the Denon, if the disc is removed it does NOT remember the last point played on that disc. I'm finding that very annoying. Furthermore, it's exchange disc function seems tricky to me. I have problems removing all discs without disturbing the currently playing disc.

In summary, I would say that video and audio wise the 2815 is very good (subjective and relative term I know) but functionally, it falls short of a much cheaper Sony I have.

Regards

N

Edit: I should add that this unit scores very well over at Secrets ranking up there with some of the best, regardless of price. They rate it highly in the video regard so there's some objective results for you.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

3. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Extra

Thanks.. I might give it a shot.

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I had the 1815 for a while (same unit sans DVD-A) and found it a little quirkey as well...loading disks and such. Picture and audio quality were quite good but the quirks of the machine made it annoying. I'd thought it would be a good compromise for having both a DVD player and DC changer but ended up exchanging it in the end. It's ??? kind of cheaply made in some respects.

Ended up with the 2900 for DVD (and some audio) and the 380 for a CD changer and am happier I went this way.

Mort