Any opinions on the 10" TITANIC VANCE SUBWOOFER KIT ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bruin, Dec 15, 2002.

1. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Anyone heard this sub and can compare it to other subs?

2. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I bought one of those about 2 weeks ago. It came packed nice and secure. Shipping in Dec is free.

Putting it together was really easy (~15 mins tops). I don't quite understand why it's a "kit" rather than them just putting it together, since is all pretty prefab anyway. The only holes you have to drill are small pilot holes to secure the plate amp to the box. All the T-nuts are pre installed. (The review said it was sketchy so apparently the come pre-installed)

You just have to screw the spikes on, put the plate amp in and connect the wires. (The amp comes with those clip ends, but the driver has spring clip posts, so they are kinda incompatable. I just stripped the ends of the wire, and doubled it over for more surface area. Then you just need to cut the foam, stick it in, and screw on the driver. The foam sheet, you can just cut to a 12" strip and it will be exactly the right size for half the box, which will stop at the brace, then do the other side. If you get it, it will be plainly obvious.

Anyway, putting it together is way easier than most of the some assembly required bookshelves. The fit and finish, well... construction of the cabinet is quite good. Very sturdy construction, and you dont get and sense of being flexible anywhere. The finish is... not really that pretty, but not horrible. They spray it with something that looks like the stuff they spray pickup truck beds with. It should be quite durable, and is kinda.. bumpy and shiny.

As far as how it sounds, it sounds really good for the price. My first sub was a Polk PSW 350. The Dayton sub makes the polk sound like a soupcan on a string. The Dayton is IMO quite musical. The low notes are pretty clear and distinct on Pipe Organ pieces. As far as power, the room I have it in is small (12X12X vaulted ceiling 8 one side, 11 on the other) I rarely have it turned up more than 1/4 of the dial.

I think for the price, you really can't go wrong with it. The Adire kits might be a little better, but they are also more expensive. I really dont think you'll find anything commercial that nice for near that cost.

My one and only complaint is there's no LFE in on the amp, so I have to split the lfe out and use a pair of rca to the l/r in on the sub.

For the money it's a no-brainer. The only other thing I think I might consider is the adire sub kits, but I dont think those will be nearly as easy to put together, or if size isnt an issue, maybe one of the sonotube sub plans.

If you dont really want to worry about a finish, and actually building stuff, the titanic kit I think is really good.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

This sub has a great reputation and reviews at audioreview.com. Some others have said that for the money you can DIY a better sub, but for a kit- this is supposed to be one of the better ones out there.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I had one and it didn't do HT for me too well. I wasn't much of a bass head either.

Music was awesome.

I had an SVS before, but WAF did that in. So I went with this kit. Not enought POW for my HT tastes.

Now using an SVS driver in an 88 liter ported box and I'm not looking back.