Any Opinions on "Storefront Hitchcock" ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Wondering if anyone has seen the DVD of this Jonathan Demme directed film on musician Robyn Hitchcock?

Opinions?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The bad news: It is full frame and DD2.0
    The good news: The video transfer and compression are quite nice and the 2.0 pro-logic mix is well mastered. The performance is also inspired, which helps.
    I have seen a number of Robyn Hitchcock shows live and one solo acoustic show, and this is a pretty close, if abbreviated, approximation of what you get. The video appears to be open matte as the framing usually is very loose. There are not a lot of elements in the sound that would benefit from a 5.1 re-mix (although I swear he makes his guitar sound like a symphony during parts of "Airscape"), but rather than give us a PCM track, MGM has instead gone with a high video bitrate. As far as A/V quality, it sure beats the heck out of my "Gotta Let this Hen Out" VHS. [​IMG] If you don't know already, you may be surprised to find out what exactly "The Yip Song" is really about.
    Regards,

3. Patrick Larkin

I was wondering about the full frame presentation. I wonder if this is how it was released theatrically (in the few places it actually was shown).
    I too have a gnarly copy of Gotta Let This Hen Out. I saw him on the Eye tour solo so I assume I'd be getting a bit of that here.
    I'm also looking forward to the usual Robyn banter in between tunes. Hopefully, thats not edited out. I have no idea what the Yip song is about. [​IMG]
    No extras I assume?

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The loose framing for much of it makes me suspect it was shot for projection at 1.85:1. There is a lot of banter, more than on the soundtrack CD. The song selection is slightly different than the CD as well, with both additions and subtractions. As for extras, I don't even think it features full-color character artwork on the disc. [​IMG]
    Regards,

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

It was shown in SF at the SF film festival I believe, but not in very many other places. He has a pretty big following here since he lived in SF in the mid 80s and played a lot of shows.

Demme had the inspiration of putting a big window in back of him and letting people do what ever in the window.

i've seen him more inspired but it's still a great show and I doubt if you will ever get the 5.1 WS with tons of extra blah blah blah... small niche artist are lucky to get anything out on video. Demme's a big fan so i guess he wrote his own ticket

.....Brendan's Iron Sledge rules!!!!

6. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Does anyone have a track list for this disc?

7. Patrick Larkin

Can't seem to find a track list for the DVD.

Here's the CD listing:

Let's Go Thundering

I'm Only You

Glass Hotel

I Something You

The Yip! Song

Freeze

Alright, Yeah

Where Do You Go When You Die?

The Wind Cries Mary

No, I Don't Remember Guilford

Beautiful Queen

8. Michael St. Clair

The vinyl release has more tracks than the CD....I don't have it, though. I do have Mossy Liquor vinyl...

9. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Actually, the DVD does have full-color artwork. [​IMG]
    It's been awhile since I've watched it, but if the chapter list is accurate, the setlist is:
    Devil's Radio
    A Filthy Bird
    Let's Go Thundering
    I'm Only You
    Glass Hotel
    I Something You
    The Yip Song
    I Am Not Me
    You and Oblivion
    Aiscape
    Freeze
    Alright, Yeah
    No, I Don't Remember Guilford
    I wrote a review of the DVD here
    I'm going to have to check my copy in Word since it appears a sentence or two are missing in the fourth paragraph (or I did a poor job of proofreading).
    I was never able to find any info on OAR and guessed that it was open matte.

10. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Thanks Mark & Patrick for the info.

I have yet to come across this disc in my travels, but I may seek it out.

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

It played in Boston (or Brookline, actually) at the Coolidge I think, he may even have been there to knock off a couple songs before the show, too.

Honestly I've been afraid to watch SH because I'm worried Robyn will seem forced... mainly because on the soundtrack album Deni Bonet is goading him into "talking strange" by telling a Robyn-like story about hair in her soup...and to me that felt like Robyn was on the verge of being a caricature of himself. I didn't want to see such a brilliantly twisted artist brought down by his old schtick. It seems the concert was produce a few years too late, you know? But maybe I must see it before I judge!

I know, I'm over-analysing this... which reminds me, are Spaulding Grey's films on DVD yet?

12. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

As I recall I don't think it's open matte, because of the way the end credits are (letterboxed).

I think it's worth having. Will, I don't think it's particularly forced - he seems pretty relaxed, having a good time.

A related question: it appears that Gotta Let This Hen Out! is out on DVD. Is there any reason I shouldn't pick it up?

13. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

14. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Grays Anatomy? The worst of the trio! Urg. I'll get it anyway.

And I am glad to hear Robyn is relaxed in SH. I'll pick it up.