1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any opinions on Sony 32" (32S42?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this set. i think i have the model number correct. it is currently at best buy for 500.00. plus i have a 10% off coupon. what's odd is i saw the same set at circuit city for a hundred dollars more!
    it has the trinitron tube, but it doesn't have component inputs. i know some of the other brands at the same price point do. i think i looked at a toshiba and something else.
    for 450.00 it seems like a good deal.
    anyway, all opinions are welcome and appreciated.
    tia [​IMG]

2. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Based on your description, it does sound like the Sony 32s42. It's not a flat screen but it's also curved only in one direction (it's vertically flat).

The best TV comparison I've seen is the one I saw at costco the other day where they had a Sony 36FS17 and 36xbr side by side, on the same widescreen formatted (signalled) DVD (SWE1). I corrected the 36FS17 by putting on the vertical squeeze and it was 97% of the resolution of the XBR. Very smooth. Mind you, a DVD is only NTSC and not HDTV (which the XBR can do). The point is, if you watch DVDs then it's worth getting a TV that can do the vertical squeeze trick, which the 32S42 cannot do. But a 32FS13, which can do the trick, would run you about $800-900 retail.

Man this "paralysis of analysis" I subject myself to is killing me!

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks oren -
    i did see the sets with the anamorphic squeeze and i know they're awesome, but i guess they're out of my price range. thanks for the info though!
    [​IMG]