What's new

Any opinions on Sony 32" (32S42?) (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
i was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this set. i think i have the model number correct. it is currently at best buy for 500.00. plus i have a 10% off coupon. what's odd is i saw the same set at circuit city for a hundred dollars more!
it has the trinitron tube, but it doesn't have component inputs. i know some of the other brands at the same price point do. i think i looked at a toshiba and something else.
for 450.00 it seems like a good deal.
anyway, all opinions are welcome and appreciated.
tia :)

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
Based on your description, it does sound like the Sony 32s42. It's not a flat screen but it's also curved only in one direction (it's vertically flat).

The best TV comparison I've seen is the one I saw at costco the other day where they had a Sony 36FS17 and 36xbr side by side, on the same widescreen formatted (signalled) DVD (SWE1). I corrected the 36FS17 by putting on the vertical squeeze and it was 97% of the resolution of the XBR. Very smooth. Mind you, a DVD is only NTSC and not HDTV (which the XBR can do). The point is, if you watch DVDs then it's worth getting a TV that can do the vertical squeeze trick, which the 32S42 cannot do. But a 32FS13, which can do the trick, would run you about $800-900 retail.

Man this "paralysis of analysis" I subject myself to is killing me!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks oren -
i did see the sets with the anamorphic squeeze and i know they're awesome, but i guess they're out of my price range. thanks for the info though!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks