What's new

Any Opinions On MATTRESSES? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I am looking to replace a very cheap (and hard as a rock) mattress in our guest room. I want to get something of reasonable quality without breaking my bank account. Any feedback on a particular brand you might recommend or a location where I might find the best value would be appreciated.
Also, is it okay to keep the existing boxspring and just purchase the mattress itself? The bed is a standard double size. Come on sleep experts! :)
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Before I start, I must say that I NEVER watch Oprah. Now that I've said that, a few years ago she had a guest (a famous actress, but I don't remember who) who was discussing the nice accommodations at the Four Seasons hotel in Chicago that the Oprah show put her up in. She mentioned that the mattress there was the most comfortable that she had ever slept on and that she ordered one through the gift shop to have delivered to her home. Oprah said she has also stayed there in the past and that she found the mattress to be the best one she had slept on as well.
So you're probably wondering, "If you don't watch Oprah, how do you know all of this? And why are you telling me this?"
Well, the company that makes that mattress happens to be the Omaha Bedding Company which is located in my hometown. Our local paper did a story about this Oprah episode and the bed. I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and bought one for myself and I have to agree, it's a damn comfortable mattress and the price was pretty reasonable too when compared to similar Sealy and Simmons mattresses. If memory serves, we paid around $500 for the queen mattress and box spring.
I looked for a weblink to Omaha Bedding Company but came up empty handed. I bet one of your local furniture stores carries the brand. In fact, here is a phone number for Omaha Bedding if you'd like to call to see if there is a local dealer with this brand in their showroom: (402) 733-8600. Be warned though, if you buy this bed you will want one for your bedroom as well.
As far as just buying the mattress, I wouldn't. If the mattress is hard and is worn, the box spring is probably equally far along in it's lifespan.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just curious. Why would Oprah be staying at a
hotel a couple of blocks from where she lives?
And if it is because she was redoing her place, then
why not stay at the Ritz which is connected to her
place?
Was she having an affair?
blush.gif

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Well I tried to ask the salesman about them but every time I mentioned the word 'Mattresses' he put a bag over his head!
------------------
-Jeff Cooper
"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Oops - my bad in trying to make a joke about Oprah.
I actually did not now the hotel by any other name
except as the Ritz (and I live 2 blocks away).
Oh well, learned something new today. :)
BUT, since my bed is on the outs, it definitely gave
me another option to look into as well.
biggrin.gif

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Also, is it okay to keep the existing boxspring and just purchase the mattress itself?
My brother works in a mattress store and I can ask him. But I don't expect a reasonable response. He bullshits more than a used car salesman. Probably has 51 reasons why you can't use an existing boxspring with a new mattress.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

aeveritt

Agent
From what I've read and heard, you really shouldn't mis-match mattresses and box springs. Supposedly, the construction of the mattress is designed to work with the corresponding box spring set and vice-versa. This is probably true to some extent. Perhaps the worse that could happen is that the mattress doesn't feel the same as it would had you used the proper box spring. It could also accellerate the wear of the new mattress. Beyond that I don't thing there would be much of a problem.
About a year ago, I purchased a new mattress and box spring set. It was one of those that usually retails for about $1300. It had the "pillow" top and all the bells and whistles that I had read about. I really don't like the mattress though. I wish I had my old one back. I slept better on it. I guess the moral of the story is to make sure you check the mattress out thoroughly for comfort. You may even want to see if you can find a place that will let you return it if you don't like it. I don't know whether such a place exists but it would be nice if you could find it. Mattresses are sort of like speakers. You really should audition them before buying. Heck, maybe you could take a nap in the mattress showroom during your lunch hour.
wink.gif
Also, what other people like might not be right for you.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Well this is not going to help you because the price is NOT low but the Select Comfort mattresses are incredible. These are the ones that allow you to increase hardness/softness via air. What makes them extra good is that my wife likes a soft bed and I like a hard one so we are both able to adjust our side to our likings.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks