Any opinions of Monitor Audio and Paradigm Studio 20's vs Polk LSi7 and B&W 602's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Wenzel, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

Took the GF to pick out some bookshelves speakers for her dorm room (moving to apartment soon, probably go 5.1 then) that will be used for stereo...

she liked the polks over the 602's, but doesn't like their name. i made the mistake of saying that polk was a moderate brand when she asked me, and now she thinks that they are a bad name, which is not what i meant. Anyway, she like the polks better.

But she also wants to listen to some other things. And I did have one reservation on the polks. That is, the dealer, and I expect to pay more, wants 700 for them, on the internet they are as low as 480. I would have a hard time swallowing that. I could even get the next step up over the net at 600 or so. Now I want to give the guy the business, he was very helpful, but $220 difference in price is a lot on this amount money, thats 30% less. I would pay 550-600 and walk away okay with it....But in the end, she said shes not sure she wants them anyway. The dealer only had them in the 400-600 range...

I am going to force her to lisen to some of Kef Q series and mirages. I like Kefs....The boss will have to decide. What I don't know is how the digms and monitor audios stack up against them. Never really listened to them, especially monitor audios, so I am curios how everyone thinks it would compare against the 602s and the polks.

Rich

2. Ben_L

Ben_L Agent

I was at a MonitorAudio/PSB dealer last time to listen to the PSB Image 2Bs . I saw the MonitorAudio Bronze B2 spkr(last years model), but the dealer didnt have it hooked it up. I notice they use near identical drivers, and i think the tweeters were identical as well(except the MonitorAudio's were Gold colored instead of aluminum). The dealer said they used the same drivers, only their crossovers were different.

Anyhow, I was thoroughly impressed w/ the Image 2b's, incredibily loud for its size and had loads of bass. They seemed like awesome spkrs for rock since they were so full sounding. It was running off of a NAD amp and NAD cdplayer. They are a little bigger than the Bronze B2 w/ a bigger front port. I believe price for both were about the same(~$300).

So if you are looking at the MonitorAudio Bronze line of spkrs, i suggest you check out the PSB Image line as well. PSB is canadian and Monitor Audio is british. Ive heard British speakers tend to be more laid back, but I am not sure if this is true for Monitor Audio as well.

3. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

You should check out the Paradigm Studio 20's. They are around $650 MSRP. It's always a good idea to listen to as many as possible before pulling the trigger.

4. Rich Wenzel

I agree with listening to a many as possible, but my girlfriend has the patience of a starving wolverine, a frenchman in heat, or a dog being let out to run in the woods...

I was thinking of the PSB's, but there is no dealer around her for her to listen.

Rich

5. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

I hope for your sake your GF doesn't read these threads, or you might be SOL.

6. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

Keep in mind, with the B&Ws they have a long break-in period. If the demos at the store have not been set up for long they will not sound as good as a couple of months from now. I'm sure there is a break-in factor for the other speakers as well, but B&Ws are notorious for this.

I think the Monitor speakers are very sharp looking, but I've never heard them. PSBs are also highly regarded, and I know they have some models that are easier on the wallet than some of the others. You must really love your girlfriend if you are showing her B&Ws, Monitors, Paradigm, etc.[​IMG]

7. Rich Wenzel

i do love my girlfriend, and she is spoiled rotten, but I do make a fair amount of money...

at one point, she asked for the VA Mahlers, I had to tell her no...

Rich