What's new

Any Onkyo TX-SR 605 Owners? (1 Viewer)

John_Yanotka

Agent
Has anyone picked up their Onkyo TX-SR 605 yet? How do you like it? Any problems at all? I cant wait to get mine. Hope it ships soon.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I got mine yesterday -- I took the whole day off, but it didn't get delivered until 3:30. I only did a partial hook-up, as I'm still waiting on some cables from Monoprice.

I did the auto speaker set-up, which was pretty neat. I won't be fully connected properly until my cables arrive -- hopefully they're waiting when I get home!

Ricciuto

Auditioning
Real Name
Denny
I have had my reveiver for 4 days and I must say it is the best receiver in it's price range. Installation is a snap. The Audyssey 2EQ auto speaker setup is fantastic.
I have always felt that upconverting results in some loss of picture quality and this box is no exception. I don't have HDMI output on my DVD so I wired it to upconvert from component to HDMI. The result is not good. Enough picture quality loss that I will wire directly to my TV (Sony KDS-R60XBR2). The picture also gets shakey and will sometimes go away. Shutting off the receiver and turning it back on corrects the problem, usually through the remainder of the movie. Aside from this, I am totally pleased with the 605 and even this little problem would not stop me from purchasing the product again although it would be nice to only have one cable connected to the TV.
My Directv box has an HDMI output and I run that through the receiver and it's output is excellent.
Denny

John_Yanotka

Agent
I have had mine now for 3 days.I agree,this receiver does a great job. I have everything hooked up HDMI. My HD Direct TV box and my PS3. I fianally had the chance to listen to my new Paradigm monitors,and they sound great. For an entry level receiver,the Onkyo does a fine job.

HTNut

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Has anyone else noticed the annoying clicking sound when the receiver tries to automatically detect the audio format coming from the source? I can understand an single click when switching from say Dolby Digital to TrueHD. When I was playing a HDDVD, I noticed that if I use the remote to jump from one chapter to the next, the receiver would force itself to autodetect again and produce a clicking sound and sometimes it would even make my speakers pop.

I love the TrueHD and even the Dolby Digital Plus that this receiver is able to reproduce. My old receiver was a Denon AVR-3801 and I was amazed at how this $450 Onkyo performed. I am looking forward to hearing the new Denon AVR-3808 that is due out this summer to see how it compares.

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of getting this receiver. Since it's new, this may not be a question that most can answer but would this be a noticable upgrade to an onkyo 575x?
And I have an older tv with only s-video so I am mainly concerned about sound quality, etc.

thanks

wiggles

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I've read a lot of good, and a lot of bad things about this receiver. I agree though, that it's a great receiver for the price.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
HT Nut, the primary DSP for each of the inputs is "Stereo" so, when you are trying to watch something using PLIIx, THX Cinema, Neo:6, Theater Dimension, or ANY of the other DSP's, really... it will click each time it tries to connect/detect again. What you need to do is, for whatever source (or every source you use) make sure your player/device is off so you get no signal. Once that's accomplished, simply take it out of Stereo and choose a DSP that's closer/similar to what you normally run.

andykputtmann

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
I've had mine for three weeks now and am very pleased. Audessy AutoEQ is a great feature...makes setup very simple. the onscreen display makes assigning inputs/outputs very easy. i have directv hooked up through HDMI and i have noticed an improvement in the picture quality for non-HD channels. there are a few very minor things here and there that i think could be improved, but for the price i got it for, you won't hear me complain a bit.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
After 3 weeks with the 605, I just returned it yesterday. From initial setup, it had sounded a bit bright/harsh to me and it was intermittently nagging at me. But it was VERY borderline -- as of last week, I thought I'd keep it.

My curiosity as to how the Yamaha 661 sounds got the best of me, so I picked up that one this afternoon and will be trying it out this weekend. (My current receiver had been an 11-year old Yamaha.)

Another thing that bothered me is how HOT the 605 runs. It actually made a noticeable bump in my electric bill.

Shadow

Agent
Real Name
Ruben

That is interesting about the 605 running hot. It seems to be a hit and miss thing with some of the units. I have a 605 on order, but I am wondering if I should cancel it and go for the Yamaha. The 605 has such a good price tough. In any case, how did it go for you with the Yamaha over the weekend?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

I've only watched a couple of movies since setting up the Yamaha, and listened to some music. Maybe it's psychological, since I had the old Yamaha so long, but I like the tonal quality with my JBLs better than the Onkyo. Though I haven't tested it enough yet, it hasn't yet struck me at times as "harsh", which the Onkyo did pretty much right off. I do not have a sub in my setup (and probably never will as long as I'm in an apartment), so I cannot judge anything relating to that.

That aside, the Yamaha is quite a bit more complex and not as intuitive as the Onkyo. It WAS a bit more convenient to have the OSD over HDMI on the Onkyo rather than component on the Yamaha. With both receivers, I don't see any noticeable degradation in video quality fed through the receiver. I like the front panel display on the Onkyo better -- the Yamaha is a bit too cramped and busy looking. I also prefer the Onkyo's straight numerical volume level, as opposed to the Yamaha's -22.5 db, etc. And so far, I cannot get any volume level adjustment to display on my LCD through component inputs. On the Onkyo, you could see the volume adjustment on the TV for non-HDMI inputs, at least. The automatic speaker set-ups on both the Onkyo and Yamaha worked fine for me, with speaker size and distances very accurate.

The remote for the Onkyo was a little better in size and shape. At least this Yamaha one beats the very flat and wide remote that came with my 11-year-old Yamaha! I realize most people will be using their Harmony remotes anyway. Cool concept, but a little steep for a REMOTE, to me!

Oh, and I do still actually have a turntable, and the Yamaha has phono input, lacking on the Onkyo. Wasn't a crucial feature, though, as I know I could have picked up a phono pre-amp.

I'll still be testing out various things over the next couple weeks. I better check my other HDMI input to make sure it's working, though I only have one HDMI component at the moment (Oppo 981).

P.S. Over at AVS Forum, many people are using cooling fans with the new Onkyos, especially the 805s, due to how hot they run. Some have associated it with the resultant popping sounds from the speakers.

Shadow

Agent
Real Name
Ruben
Elizabeth,

Thank you for the follow up and thorough explanation. I have decided to just let the Onkyo order go through. I'll give it a shot and see if it is acceptable for me. I don't have big demands for it. My speakers are only a 5.1 set up and are not high end. I just hope I don't have problems with my unit. If I do, I'll just return it and look for a deal on the Yamaha. Let's see what happens.

PeterDI

Grip
I got the 605 today and I am noticing some persistent clicking coming from the speakers. Anyone else? I know one person did. Is there something I am not adjusting? I have a panny 10a nd Diretv HD DVR. Any ideas about the clicking? At this rate I am going to take it back.

scsp12

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I set mine up this weekend. I am very pleased with the results and think it was a good value for the money. The auto speaker setup is extremely cool. Since I am somewhat of a novice and never spent alot of time tweaking my last setup, I really liked that feature.

PeterDI

Grip
Good potential not so good execution. I took mine back. It was running real hot and the clicking/popping was just too much. Onkyo said they are aware of the problem and thier engineers are working on a fix. I tired a line conditioner and same thing: click click click.

I am nor trying the 805.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.