What's new

Any onkyo 787's still out there? Help please (1 Viewer)

mpstan

Auditioning
Real Name
Perry
I've had this baby together with a nice Klipsch Reference series setup (5.1) for 5 years, but until now never had digital audio inputed into it. Put a coaxial line from dvd for the first time last week...........Wow, we all said, now this is what Dolby Digital Surround is supposed to sound (and feel!) like.

Now to connect everything properly..........

I have basic stuff........DVD player with digital audio, and S/Video and Component video outputs. My new HT cable box has digital audio and S/video outputs. My older flatscreen 32" has both component and S video inputs.

I want to run video as well as audio through my Onkyo, but I'm having trouble; here is where I could use a hand.

Since my cable box is only S video outputed, does this mean I should use S video from my receiver to TV? If I use component video from dvd to receiver but use s video from receiver to tv, doesn't that defeat the use of component video between dvd and receiver?

Apparently if I do use componenet video from receiver to tv, the OSD doesn't work; it will only work via S video. Don't know why.

Right now I'm just running component cable between dvd and tv but I hoped to keep things simpler for my family.

Anyone using a cable box and dvd player like I am with this receiver? No sense in reinventing the wheel.

Thanks

Perry

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
YES, it would defeat the purpose of using component to the receiver. You most likely won't be able to use component in and s-video out, as almost no receivers do downconversion of video. I would probably just send the DVD video straight to the TV, and unless you are switching any other S-video sources, do the same for the cable box. If it is a progressive scan DVD player, using s-video means you would lose the ability to use progressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks