What's new

Any one working on a 3+way? (1 Viewer)

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
John -
You are right about resolving any horizonal baffle issues by having your Xover at or below 700hz. That is how it works on my DIY center - my only hump in sound comes at about 90hz and is an entirely good compromise for my Heresy based HT. The first couple of pics on theis page show the center I made:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~hwatkins/id63.htm

Jerry - cool thoughts. Looks like we are leaning toward the same type of sound, except I will be trying the difficult 3 way path. I have considered the Behringer and may well go that way, at least to determine what sounds best to me. I also built a couple of Pi twos that I plan on giving to my daughter, but I like them quite a bit and am keeping them for a while.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
John,

Thanks for the offer, but at this point, the sucker is really really heavy, and if I really wanted to, I could beg a local guy (the one who puts on the DIY Atlanta gathering, Rob C.) to do more modelling for me. IIRC (it's been over a year now) I didn't go for 4th order slopes, so you don't see the massive nulls with the midrange with the in-phase/ out-of-phase test. I was probably shooting for 3rd order slopes to help the polar radiating response in a horizontal configuration for the drivers. For my purposes, I'm sort of used to it now, so the urge to tinker with it has waned for the time being.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Patrick, do you have physical dimensions on that MTM55 mid? All i can find is 87mm, but i need to know what that radius is on the corners and what the cutout size is.

John

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm not at home (elsewhere for the holidays), so I can't help with the dimensions until tomorrow night. I do remember that I created the rounded corners of the MDM55 faceplate with my 1/4" spiral upcut bit, so that would probably suffice for the corners.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
John, the Parts Express specs on the Morel MDM-55 show the specs for the cutout (3" wide for the body, with a little notch for the terminals, 3-7/16" for the square faceplate width, and the corners were created with my 1/4" spiral upcut bit as described previously, maybe a little bit of free-wheeling routing was used, but not much). Here's a layout of the dimensions guide listed for PE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks