What's new

Any one with the Sony DVP-CX875P DVD Mega Changer (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, as far as I know, the 'CX875P is not out yet. I read a blurb about it in one of the home-theater magazines a few months ago, and then there was no news. However, Crutchfield put it up on its web site just today. The web site says the 'CX875P will be in stock on September 20th. The price is $500. Here is the link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VPX875&o=m&a=0
Note that I had some trouble getting the above page and associated pages to load. I had to hit "Refresh" a couple of times. Anyway, the 'CX875P looks like the 'CX860 and 'CX870D. Unfortunately, the 'CX875P does not appear to have the copper chassis like the 'CX870D.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I had the 300 + 1 Sony DVD changer. Its display died within 1 day of owning it. I hated how when you would turn the unit on, it would retrieve, insert and start playing the last disc you watched. YUCK!

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Was this last year's model? The 875 is brand new.

Also, so do the mega-changers not know how to start (resume) in the middle of a dvd/cd when you stop it (and power off I think on my carousel)?

TimG

Second Unit
I'm interested in this new model too, but only if they fix the problem that Jim described. That would drive me nuts. I don't understand why you would want to do that. It should restart the movie if you stop in the middle of it and turn it off, I know their single disc players do. I am eagerly awaiting reviews on this.

TimG

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Huh? My original carousel (the first 5 dvd model) Sony dvd player will resume playing in the middle of the dvd/cd if I halted (unless I'm in some supplementary type menu). I like this feature; I can stop in the middle of a movie and start where I left off without searching. Also good for music playback... Think of it as simulating vcr/cassette tape operation. If you want to restart, just go to the dvd main menu. But this only works on mine if you don't open the drawer or change discs. The bookmark feature on the new carousels seems even better; I can book mark a spot, go to another cd and come back to the first.

TimG

Second Unit
What Jim was talking about, and I agree with, is that when you finished a movie and finally shut off the player. When you decided to watch a movie again and turned on the player, instead of waiting for you too pick the movie you wanted to watch it automatically picked the one last viewed and started it up. You then had to sit through the FBI crap and get to a menu before you could shut it off and start the movie you really wanted to watch. Hopefully this new changer won't do that, everybody hates this feature of the Sony.

TimG

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The feature that Jim and Tim described is most annoying. I wouldn't want to deal with that. Hopefully Sony fixed it. I'll be looking for reviews.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
So it starts playing when you hit the power button without hitting a play button first? That does seem strange. Do they expect you to leave it powered on all the time or something? Maybe it's a carryover from having a cd-changer designed first.

Carlos_A

Auditioning
I think I have some info that might help on your problems.....

1.Ok, When you're done view a movie. Press Stop twice(x2) this resets the last stop point.
(display should only show the movies index or cd index)

2. Also you could turn off "Auto Play" found on the dvd player's "Setup Menu"...

I hope this helps some of you all.....

TimG

Second Unit
I have a question regarding the outputs on the Sony changers. Can you have both a component and s-video hooked-up simultaneously? I need to have one running to the tv and the other running to the projector. Thanks.

TimG

Carlos_A

Auditioning
Yeah, you could have both connected simultaneously. I use both component and s-video connected simultaneously with no problem:)

Duke

Stunt Coordinator
If the movies starts to play when you turn on the player just hit one of the file fold buttons, this will stop the movie and bring up the dvd list. Which is what you want, if you don't want to continue watching the movie you last watched.

TimG

Second Unit
Thanks Carlos. I know there are work-arounds for the disc start problems, but in my opinion they shouldn't have this problem to start with. We will just have to see when people have this unit in their hands to review.

TimG

TimG

Second Unit
Thanks Carlos. Duke, I know there are work-arounds for the disc start problems,(that is one I haven't heard of before), but in my opinion they shouldn't have this problem to start with. We will just have to see when people have this unit in their hands to review.

TimG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks