Any one using the JBL S312II Studio Series speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by SteveLeach, Feb 26, 2004.

1. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard them yet, But I'm looking to upgrade (aren't we all?) my SONY HT in a box speakers. Are they still in production? I look on the JBL web site and didn't see them.

2. VictorLS

VictorLS Auditioning

I'm using those as my mains, and I have the matching sub also. I like them, (for now...) any particular questions about them?
    I'm almost sure they are no longer in production...

3. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

What are you using for the center and surrounds?
    I kind of guessed they weren't in production, the MSRP is listed as ~$500/ea, yet I'm seeing prices on the web at ~$600/pr. Not a bad price, so I could see using them all around, but am a bit concerned about directionality (is that a word?) of the tweaters.

4. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I'm using the S310IIs for my fronts and I absolutely love them! I think they're the best component of my HT, second only to my AVR. I'm using the S-CenterII (impossible to find right now) for the center and 3 S36IIs for my 3 surrounds (6.1 setup). The S310IIs have awesome low-end, and I bet the S312IIs can go lower. The sound is very full when matched with my HSU and there is absolutely no "hole"!

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Same setup I have! 310II's in the front, SCenter II, and two S36II's for surround. Where did you get a third S36 for the center surround channel? I always see them sold in pairs.

Like MuneebM, I find the 310's to have plenty of low end capability. The 312's would have more, but if you are going to be using a sub, I would consider the 310's as well as the 312's.

6. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

greg_t, you're right, the S36IIs are in fact always sold in pairs, but I was lucky because a friend of mine was also doing a similar 6.1 set up around the same time so we split the cost of a pair. Worked out great for both of us [​IMG]

7. VictorLS

VictorLS Auditioning

My surrounds and center are some horrible RCA speakers, temporarily...
    I've never noticed anything about the JBL tweeters being very directional.
    And, ~600/pr is a great price, I was lucky with an out-of-the-box, last-year's-model discount as Best Buy, ~450 for the pair [​IMG]

8. scott>c

scott>c Second Unit

I just got the s312`s last week for $400 shipped. Awesome investment!!! Very good for music. Now I`m looking to get the s center and s36`s. Seems like I`ll have my work cut out for me since their scarce. I got the last pair of s312`s from Amazon.

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

FYI: Another option is using the S36 all-around, ... bascially using one S36 for your Front Center (other speaker for Rear Center 6.1 setup).

The suggestion is based on JBL own product description ... from their dba JBL newsline report ...

Phil