What's new

Any one use Variovents ? (1 Viewer)

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
I've just finished another sub. This one is a sealed tempest in a 130L box, with a 100 watt plate amp. I'm happy with the results but was wondering how variovents would affect the performance.
Thanks

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
If the VCs are wired in parallel, then you'll lose a bunch of bass; if only one is driven and the other one is open, then it will flatten the midbass hump.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
Box ouside dimensions are 21.5x21.5x21.5. Made of 3/4"
MDF. Two internal cross braces. Stuffed with about 2 pounds of acousta-stuff. Has black chrome metal spike legs. The plate amp is PE 300-792 which puts out 110 watts RMS into 8 ohms or 156 watts RMS into 4 ohms. It also has a 5db boost at 35hz.(which I might change to get a bit more extension) The tempest has the VC's hooked up in parallel.
If I could find my digital camera I would take a picture of it, along with my other subs, a dual Shiva EBS, sealed Titanic, and Dayton DVC 15" bandpass.
I did some 1 meter measurements in my 30x30 basement, using the NCH tone generator and a RS SPL meter.
It was flat ( +/- 1.5 db) to 30 hz then it dropped of quickly and was -10 db at 20 hz. It's final home will be in the family room at my sister's house, which is bigger than my basement. It will be used 50/50 for HT and music. Size was a big issue to her, as was price. For under $300 (minus labor :) ) I'm happy with the results, but am always looking for a way to squeeze more performance out.
I have ZERO experience with variovents and am not really sure exactly how or why they work.
Thanks for your help Greg and Jack and everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks