Any one use Variovents ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred Seger, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

I've just finished another sub. This one is a sealed tempest in a 130L box, with a 100 watt plate amp. I'm happy with the results but was wondering how variovents would affect the performance.
    Thanks

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

If the VCs are wired in parallel, then you'll lose a bunch of bass; if only one is driven and the other one is open, then it will flatten the midbass hump.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Fred, tell us more about yer sub, we like details... [​IMG]

4. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

Box ouside dimensions are 21.5x21.5x21.5. Made of 3/4"
    MDF. Two internal cross braces. Stuffed with about 2 pounds of acousta-stuff. Has black chrome metal spike legs. The plate amp is PE 300-792 which puts out 110 watts RMS into 8 ohms or 156 watts RMS into 4 ohms. It also has a 5db boost at 35hz.(which I might change to get a bit more extension) The tempest has the VC's hooked up in parallel.
    If I could find my digital camera I would take a picture of it, along with my other subs, a dual Shiva EBS, sealed Titanic, and Dayton DVC 15" bandpass.
    I did some 1 meter measurements in my 30x30 basement, using the NCH tone generator and a RS SPL meter.
    It was flat ( +/- 1.5 db) to 30 hz then it dropped of quickly and was -10 db at 20 hz. It's final home will be in the family room at my sister's house, which is bigger than my basement. It will be used 50/50 for HT and music. Size was a big issue to her, as was price. For under $300 (minus labor [​IMG] ) I'm happy with the results, but am always looking for a way to squeeze more performance out.
    I have ZERO experience with variovents and am not really sure exactly how or why they work.
    Thanks for your help Greg and Jack and everyone else.