What's new

Any one use the SBB4 Alignment for the Shiva (1 Viewer)

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Ok ok yes i know i have been changing my mind a lot and i'm sorry for that but i need to pick a good aligment that is best for me & my home theater needs.
Ok Has anyone here used the 95 liter SBB4 alignment for the shiva ??? anyone ???
I was reading the shiva application notes and i saw the 95 liter SBB4 alignment & it said something like the SBB4 alignment is a good alignment for home theater applications cause it has verry good extension with good output and it also adds lots of punch in the 30Hz to 40Hz region which some people say is exciting.
So has anyone here used that alignment ?? if so how did it sound for home theater was it loud ??, deep ???, and did it has lots of powerfull bass with lots of punch ??
Thanks alot.
And agian i'm VERRY SORRY for alway changing my mind.
I'm gonna pick a alignment & stick with it.
Thanks guys

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Tyler my experience with the Shiva driver is this, I have build several experimental subwoofers , several for my friends, sold several over the internet and build several for myself. By a long shot the Shiva sounds best in 7cuft tuned nice and low with lots of vent space and lots of power. Use 24" ID sonotube and it only takes up a 24" circle worth of floorspace.
Basically if you want a good sounding sub use the largest enclosure you are willing to make.
(by the way it was not my idea to use the Shiva in such a large enclosure, it was Tom V.'s idea, he used to post here alot before he started his own subwoofer company , SVS)
------------------
James' DIY speakers

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Tyler
The answer to your questions about that alignment are contained in the performance plots included with the Shiva apps papers. Remember that room gain also adds to the output and extension from a sub

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hello tyler,
dont sweat the mind changing stuff, you will likely change it many more times. yes, i have built the sbb4 right off the adire plans for my girlfriend's daughter. it sounded pretty darn good on movies and music including the techno thump bump dance club music she listens to. at least to my ears and chest it sounded very articulate and it went pretty low too. didnt do any measurements, really didnt need to, and its the gf's brat's sub so....

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Tyler,
Again, no need to apologize for the mind changing stuff. On e good thing about MDF is it's relatively cheap , so if you make mistakes you can always build another one. You'll learn best by doing and don't hesitate to ask for help.

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys.
I'm looking for the punch type of bass in the 30Hz to 50Hz reigon.
And deep strong bass in the 20Hz to 30Hz region.
And i would like to do this with little power since i'm buying my first DVD player by selling the Hsu VTF-2 i wont have much money left for a good amp but i can alsways upgrade so i will be looking at cheap amps.
A amp that Dan Wiggins suggested was the Apex .jr 130 watt subwoofer plate amp he said that would be ok for driving the shiva.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
quote: And agian i'm VERRY SORRY for alway changing my mind.
I'm gonna pick a alignment & stick with it.[/quote]
Sounds like a plan. Changing one's mind is never a problem, constant jumping from one thing to another with little regard to advice already given tends to make it difficult to bother with an answer after a while. Slow down, think, then post. It'll get you very good information.
The SBB4 with that amp will be fine. It will do what Adire says. You can't have very loud deep bass with little power, though. Download LspCAD from the Adire site and use it, you can get an idea of frequency response and levels in your room.
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on July 17, 2001 at 04:42 PM]

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
I all ready have lspCAD had it for a while and been playing around with it & it looks fine to me & to Dan Wiggins.
& remmber i'm always gona upgrade to a bigger amp

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Looks good to me, too. :) Just make sure that Apex Jr. doesn't have a bass boost built-in, that would muck things up. They can usually be disabled, though.
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on July 17, 2001 at 08:48 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks