Any one use the Apex jr. Plate amp ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

Has any one here used the Apex jr. subwoofer plate amp ?
    If so have you ever had problems with it ?
    And does it sound good.
    I'm reading the specs and it says 0.10% THD and that seem like a lot of THD.
    Thanks for any input.
    P.S hey Julian Data if your reading this wana chat on icq ?
    I will be online [​IMG]

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

The Apex is a nice unit for the price. I used one for over a year without problems, though I recently sold it. I wouldn't recommend it for inefficient subs or large rooms, though. The AVA250 is also a nice amplifier, which is what I'd recommend as the next 'step up' if the Apex won't do the trick for you.
    BTW if you think .10% THD is a lot just wait til you see what subwoofers do [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Mark Hayenga
    www.hayenga.com
    ----------------------
    "Saru mo ki kara ochiru"

3. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Tyler,
    I have one and it's an excellent amp at the price. I have'nt had any problems with it. One nice thing about the junior is that it doesn't have any bass boost to worry about disabling. I also have used the parts express 300-800 sub amp, it is rated at 100 watts into 8 ohms , the same as the junior , however it is rated higher into a 4 ohm load. The 300-800 is definitely a little nicer amp but it does cost about 70 dollars more and you have to do some minor surgery to disable the boost. If you can find the June issue of Audioxpress magazine there is a review of the Apex JR. amp, as well as two of the parts express sub amps. The junior got a good review although it did not meet it's 130 watt into 4 ohm stated power rating which the reviewer attributed to a weak power supply. I have'nt seen the guts of my junior as it is a sealed unit but my 300-800 amp has a pretty hefty transformer and two 10,000uf filter capacitors. I can definitely feel the difference in power between the two amps as my subs are side by side with the same driver (Parts express 12" DVC's) and identical cabinets and tunings.

4. Anthony F.

Anthony F. Stunt Coordinator

I've been using this amp for several months with a PE Titanic 1200 in a sealed cabinet (~3.5'cu.). No problems at all, never seems to run out of gas, overall sound is excellent. If you're looking to keep your costs low (as I was) it's a no brainer.

5. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Jack,
    I built two subs using the Dayton 12" DVC . I mounted them in MCM electronics oak veneer cabinets , I believe the part # is 80-430 . I got the cabinets for $79.00 ea. , though I believe the price on these is now $90.00. The cabinets look identical to the ones Adire audio uses for their Rava sub. The cabinets come with an 11" woofer cutout and a cutout for a terminal cup on the rear. Cabinet volume is around 2.2 cubic ft. slightly smaller than the 2.598 optimal enclosure for this driver in a vented box. I simply made a cutout on the rear for the amps and a 3"x15" flared port. I originally built a 3 cubic ft. MDF cabinet but my wife hated the look of it so I went with the MCM cabinet as a compromise. I am very happy with these subs. I think the Shiva driver would work better in this size cabinet if you were going sealed. The Dayton DVC would probably need a smaller box to go sealed , the 1.2 cubic ft. you are thinking about sounds about right.

6. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for help huys [​IMG]
    I think i will go with the apex jr. amp for now & when i rack up some money within about 5 months i will upgrade to a AVA250.
    Thanks again [​IMG]

7. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Jack, if you are looking for a small sealed sub, try modeling the SAE1204. Parameters are on the website. F3 point is a little higher than the shiva, but with typical box fill, a 1.2 cubic foot enclosure gives a Qtc of .607. With typical box fill, it models to have Qtc of .7 in .8 cubic foot, and with no box fill, Qtc of .7 is 1 cubic foot.
    John

8. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Jack, The parameters are different because of a change in the driver. The SAE1204 that is sold now is closer to what the SAE1205 was planned to be. Instead of 3 seperate drivers, I decided to just go with one model that was more universal in use. Basically if you compare the parameters on the website to those of the original SAE1204, the main difference is a 50gram mass ring added to pull down the Fs and the efficiency, and raise the Qts.
    IT's a fairly good universal driver now. Works well in 3 cubic foot vented or PR enclosure, and also a small sealed enclosure. I also have the plans for my new MiniThunder subwoofer that uses this woofer and a pair of 12" PR's in a 15" cube, powered by the AMP350. This system has an F3 point of around 25Hz. Not bad for a 15" cube. :)
    John