1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Any One Out There Pre-Order A PS3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Dugger, Oct 6, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Here it is October and I have yet to see major retailers advertsing the PS3.

As I know that the USA was getting short shipped for Xmas, I assumed that we would start seeing Pre-Order starting or some form of advertsing.

Being that this PS3 is what BluRay is counting on, I would think that the advertising dollars would be flowing by now.

Dugger

2. CaseyL

CaseyL Supporting Actor

from what I've read, Sony says their initial shipment expectations of 1 mil consoles on release was cut to like 400K due to difficulty in manufacturing the Blu-ray. So, I'm thinking that Sony will undergo similar problems to the XBox360 in the way of supply and demand.

So, if you do want to pre-order, I think it'd be good to do so, ASAP. I agree that there does seem to be a real shortage of actual advertising about Blu-Ray.

For me, I think I'll stick to the Wii for now. There's very little in the way of PS3 release titles that interest me. If more stuff comes out, I'll probably do like my PS2. Pick it up after it's first price drop.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i doubt you will find anyone who will take a preorder for the PS3 now. after the xbox360 mess, many retailers will be avoiding preorders altogether, i've read.

CJ

4. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

And any shop that does decide to preorder, they'll be (preorder) 'sold' out within hours. Word from a guy at AVS is that some EB/Gamespot stores will take their preorders on the 10th. All the info is iffy at best, with some stores flatout denying it, others saying it is possible all depending on the region you are in.

Personally I'm not even going to bother with any of the game shops. They seem to get the least amount anyway. I'll try for Costco, Sams Club, or Walmart online preorder when they come about. Costco already has a placeholder page for their PS3 preorders.

5. Jason Harbaugh

And he was right, preorders start tomorrow at Gamestop and EBgames. Expect every store to be sold out before it opens, as in people are already camping at some locations. Limited supply from 5-15 per store. Each one is different. $100 down, and you can pick either 60gig or 20gig. They will receive whatever they preorder up to their alotment.

6. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Sure enough, Gamestop was taking PS3 pre-orders this morning. The catch? Only customers who pre-ordered a PS3 software title prior to today and received a telephone call from them regarding the console pre-order were eligible (they kept a list of customers who were notified on-hand; all others were turned away). Naturally, I didn't know about this until I got in line (I was #12) and folks were discussing the terms of the pre-order after they left the store (this was a 1/2 hour before the store usually opens its doors). My only recourse is to call them regularly to find out when I can be added to the second shipment.

Those looking to capitalize on multiple orders through various EB/GS outlets may be out of luck, as customer info is stored and shared in a single database, e.g. if you placed a deposit with EB and tried to pre-order with GS, your name will turn up in their system as having already placed a pre-order.

7. Jason Harbaugh

Not true and any store that did that violated their corporate rules that were posted on their website last night. It was first come first serve, no other requirements. We got two 60gigs on preorder, we were numbers 1 and 2, and when asked if we wanted to preorder any games, just said no.

It's a shame some stores took advantage of customers in that way. I've heard of one store even going as far as making you preorder 5 games, any game. Doesn't even have to be a PS3 game. Hopefully complaints are made public about those stores.

If anyone missed out, they are going to start their online preorder very shortly, most likely this week and it also will end (sellout) very quickly.

8. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Well I missed the preorder this morning. Stupid work... suppose I'll be waiting in line at Best Buy/Circuit City like everyone else. Any guesses on how early people will start lining up?

9. Jason Harbaugh

Some people started lining up at midnight just to preorder! But I guess it all depends on your area. I would expect a couple hours at least.

Hopefully some of the big retailers do online preordering so you can just have it shipped to your door. Sleep in, no lines. [​IMG]

10. Ken Chui

I'm sure there will be quite a few threads on this unfortunate situation on gaming forums.

11. Ken Chui

It depends on one's location, i.e. YMMV. Lineups in my area (for the 360's launch) began the day before; folks had reclining chairs and sleeping bags with them as they made their way to the line, and were willing to brace

12. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

I live in a pretty small location, and I would say that my local Wal-Mart's X-Box 360 supply was spoken for by early afternoon of the day before launch last year. I was there at 9am, and there were already 2 people ahead of me! I can only imagine what it's going to be like for the PS3, which is why i lined up yesterday just to pre-order at my local EB Games. I was second in line, which puts me in a good place I think. Something catastrophic could happen I guess, but I feel decent.

13. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

I suppose there are advantages to living in bum-f*ck, Mississippi...sometimes. I got to my local EB at 10:15 (a.m.) Tuesday and was number three on the reserve list. I was joking with the sales clerk about how I couldn't believe there weren't more people there. He said something about people not knowing the presale had begun. I said, "It was all over the gaming forums last night." His response..."You're in Mississppi, and you can use the internet. You're a minority." LMAO!

14. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I know what you mean. I could care less about the PS3, but I was in my local Gamestop here in far Eastern Oklahoma in the middle of Tuesday afternoon. Number of PS3 pre-orders taken: 2. Number allotted: 8.

15. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Just a heads up: Wii pre-orders start tomorrow at 10am at EB Games/Gamestop. This has been a crazy week. I'm going to be wiped out.

16. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    When will Gamestop.com start taking pre-orders for the PS3? Or have they already?

17. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

The website says coming soon and gives you the opportunity to sign up for an email alert when they get ready to start pre-orders. Click here for more info.