Any one has Quigley Down Under yet? Any reviews available yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Woo, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Henry Woo

Henry Woo Agent

I know it doesn't come out on dvd yet until September 4th but I am just wondering if anyone has gotten it early and has any comments regarding it. In my opinion, it is a very underrated (down under) western and probably Tom Selleck's best movie.
    It looks like a pretty barebones dvd release but as long as it has a decent picture and audio that does justice to the great movie score that the film has, I will pick it up.

2. CliffS

CliffS Auditioning

I've had a look at it and was pretty impressed overall. The picture is very clean and a lot brighter than I've ever seen the film look before. There is a bit of very visible grain at times, especially in the darker scenes, but the print used for the anamorphic transfer was very clean.
    The soundtrack, despite being only 2.0 surround, packs quite a punch, especially with some low bass. It isn't quite as refined and smooth as the PCM track on the laserdisc was, but it's still pretty impressive.
    As for the extras, there's "The Rebirth of the Western" documentary which is nothing more than a 7-minute production featurette (It's not all that interesting), as well as the trailer in pan and scan and two 30-second TV spots.
    Considering that this disc is going to be selling for around $15, it's a very safe purchase and certainly surpasses what I've seen before with the movie. Enjoy!
    Cliff

3. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

MGM didn't send this one out on their "automatic" list, but I just called them and they are sending me a copy tomorrow. I'll get a review posted at Obi's Reviews as soon as I can (Friday or Saturday). of course, the way it is with some retailers these days, I expect quite a few will already be sold by then.

4. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

WOW! I can't beleive that I got this before alot of folks. I was at a local B&M today buying Forrest Gump and they already had Quigley. I thought that I had missed something about the release date. Too bad I'm working so I will not be able to veiw it until Friday.

5. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I managed to find a copy locally early this week and gave the disc a spin last night. The short version is that MGM did a fine job on this title. [​IMG]
    There is some haze in the opening credits that gave me a moments concern regarding the quality of the transfer, but once the film moved on to the ocean voyage, the image cleared up and looked very nice. One of the things that I always look for on a disc that helps me evaluate the transfer is how clean the sky looks. For me, this is usually indicative of the overall appearance of the disc ( there are exceptions, but it usually correlates. ) Anyway, the Australian skies on Quigley Down Under are clean and bright.
    I just watched the film last night, without an eye towards commenting upon the quality of the disc; but I don't recall anything objectionable about the presentation. Overall, I was very pleased with the transfer and would have no qualms about recommending the title. Watching Quigley Down Under again reminded me of how much I enjoyed this film and how well Tom Selleck 'fits' the Western genre.
    Viewed with -
    Sony VPL-W400Q LCD Projector
    Da-Lite 106" 16x9 Hi Power Screen
    Panasonic RV80 DVD Player
    Denon AVR-3300 Receiver
    Klipsch speakers

- Walter.
    BTW, the DVD is 16x9 enhanced; with the extra resolution being put to good use, particularly in the long landscape shots.
    [Edited last by Walter Kittel on August 29, 2001 at 08:54 AM]

6. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Looking forward to receiving my copy from DVD Empire next week.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

7. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

8. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

I had a chance to skip through the disc for a minute today. Overall I think fans of the movie will be pleased. It is not what I would call a reference disc in sound nor picture but pleasing none the less. My veiwing was very brief and without giving my TV(WS 65907) a chance to warm up so take this with a grain of salt. Friday I will hopefully get to veiw it in its entirety. [​IMG]
    ------------------

9. Dan Ramer

Dan Ramer Agent

I was very pleased with the image quality of this disc. As I mentioned in my review , Laser Pacific did the work (unusual for an MGM release) and there are virtually none of the dreaded edge artifacts seen as halo effects.
    Fans of the film will be very happy.
    Dan

10. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I too always look at the sky as well when evaluating DVD's. "Sky grain" as I call it. For the most part Forrest Gump past this test as well.
    Jeff