What's new

Any one else still using a DIY EX/ES setup? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have been running mine for what 4 years now. Too cheep I guess to up grade to a new receiver!:laugh:

Wes

Me, too. Yam RXV2095 for the front 3 and front-effects channels, and an old sony pro-logic for the back 3 channels/4 speakers. Don't know how it compares to what's available today, but does sound more enveloping than just having 2 surround speakers.

GregK

Screenwriter
I WAS running a "home brew" DIY EX set-up for a couple of years and then upgraded to the Yamaha RXV-2300, which besides offering on-board Dolby Digital EX, also has DPL-2 (Dolby Pro-Logic II). I'm assuming for Dolby Digital EX, the Yamaha uses the new DPL-2 algorithm, even if running in a DLP-1 emulation mode. The reason I say this is once I upgraded to the RXV-2300, the amount of center channel rear build-up, common in the older Dolby Pro-Logic design, and also common in my previous calibrated DIY EX set-up, suddenly disappeared for the most part. Panning in the rears also became more fluid in nature. In short I was very surprised at the level of improvement when I upgraded to the RXV-2300.

Given the above, I am now curious to hear DPL-2x's alternate "EX" mode with stereo rears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation499
Recent bookmarks