Any one else still using a DIY EX/ES setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Wes, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have been running mine for what 4 years now. Too cheep I guess to up grade to a new receiver![​IMG]

Wes

2. Jon Carlson

Jon Carlson Extra

Me, too. Yam RXV2095 for the front 3 and front-effects channels, and an old sony pro-logic for the back 3 channels/4 speakers. Don't know how it compares to what's available today, but does sound more enveloping than just having 2 surround speakers.

3. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

I WAS running a "home brew" DIY EX set-up for a couple of years and then upgraded to the Yamaha RXV-2300, which besides offering on-board Dolby Digital EX, also has DPL-2 (Dolby Pro-Logic II). I'm assuming for Dolby Digital EX, the Yamaha uses the new DPL-2 algorithm, even if running in a DLP-1 emulation mode. The reason I say this is once I upgraded to the RXV-2300, the amount of center channel rear build-up, common in the older Dolby Pro-Logic design, and also common in my previous calibrated DIY EX set-up, suddenly disappeared for the most part. Panning in the rears also became more fluid in nature. In short I was very surprised at the level of improvement when I upgraded to the RXV-2300.

Given the above, I am now curious to hear DPL-2x's alternate "EX" mode with stereo rears.