What's new

Any one else dissappointed in the Herzog-Kinski Box? (1 Viewer)

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I was eagerly expecting this box but I must say I was dissappointed that the Nosferatu included was only a single disc not the double disc sold seperately. I know that I would probably only watch the German version but it would have been nice to have both as Herzog intended both to exist. At first I didn't know what to make of the slim slip cases but I now think that I like them. Anyone else get this set?

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
My reaction exactly. I wish AB had given us the option to purchase the English language disc seperately. I do like the look of the package, but I'll probably pick-up the 2 disc special edition of NOSFERTAU at some point.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Nope. :) I already have all of those discs with the exception of My Best Fiend (which I'll be picking up sooner or later) and Woyzeck (which I'm not in a hurry to get). I have the original release of Nosferatu but no 16x9 tv, so no need to upgrade there as yet. I do have the Shackleton set from A&E/New Video which utilizes those slim cases. I like them.
Is Anchor Bay planning on releasing any more Herzog? I'd love to see Where the Green Ants Dream.

Mike Levine

Agent
Real Name
Mike Levine
I am mostly happy with this set. The packaging and artwork are beautifully done but I found the information in the insert booklet to be quite thin. I was hoping for something more substantial like the Criterion inserts that came with Rashomon and The Horse's Mouth. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Like Steve, I already had all the discs, including Woyzeck so there was no reason to buy, though I did like the look of the new covers.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I thought the contents of the set were very nice, but indeed... the English Nosferatu is definitely missing, and AB should have simply put that in there as well, or better yet, offer it separately. And of course they could have also just put both editions on the same disc - one on each side - as they did with the initial non-anamorphic release.
I didn't care for the slim cases AT ALL. I would have preferred regular cases. For something like Shackleton, these cases are excellent instead of ugly triple amarays (I even hate double amarays!!). This type of packaging would have been perfect for the Criterion Brazil and the Planet of the Apes TV series.
Other than that, the box is excellent.

But now I am nitpicking about something as unimportant as packaging. Shame on me.

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I personally really like the design of the set. It would have been nice to have the second disc of Nosferatu but I probably wouldn't have watched it anyways. I held off buying the other Herzog/Kinski films so I could get this set. I picked it up at Best Buy for only $49 (their only copy) along with a $2 off coupon from a booklet about Warcraft 3.

muskie

Agent
I was looking for some Herzog movies the other day in Virgin, as I saw Aquire on VHS there once. I've kinda turned Aquire into a cult film amongst my friends. Only two of us have seen it (I've seen it several times due to taking a German film course). My German is mostly non existant though I lived in Nurenburg for a couple of months, so I would be interested in the subtitles for a change on a DVD.

Is the the single version of Aquire a good DVD. What about Fitzcaraldo (spelling) my favorite is The Enigma of Kasper Hauser: Everyman for himself and God against all. Is that available on DVD in region 1.

Muskie

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo, and Kaspar Hauser are all available on R1 DVD in good versions w/ commentaries. They don't look like Hollywood studio films from the period, but considering Herzog's budgets and filming methods, Anchor Bay has done an excellent job in brining these films to DVD.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
It's picky, I know, but I'm disappointed they didn't include the poster art from Fitzcarraldo and Cobra Verde individual releases. Instead, they included different posters.

I was ready to unload the original version, but I really like the Fitzcarraldo poster.

Might unload the box instead...

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I have the original release of Fitzcarraldo. What is the original language of the theatrical release? It's been a long while since I watched, but I recall that the English seemed to be synched to the lip movements.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I think Fitzcarraldo was originally in English (although the dialogue was all post-synched because some of the actors didn't actually speak English). But the U.S. distributor was apparently confused and decided to release the German-dubbed version, with English subtitles, which is why most people are more familiar with the German version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks