What's new

Any OLD SCHOOL Reviews out there? (1 Viewer)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
This is the one DVD I'm really waiting for in the next few weeks, and if anybody can tell us anything about it (especially what the new footage is) please post here!

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Hate to steal the thread but I'm interested in the Elisha Cuthbert scenes;) . All I have heard is this ;).

I'm picking this one up anyway. It's been a loooonngg time since I've seen a DVD comedy with such anticipation prior to it's release.

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know of any reviews but I know we have three versions coming our way. Uncensored WS, WS, FS. Why not just make it four and have an uncensored FS. Also as of yesterday a sequel with the original three has been in talks.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I would review it but I am going with my wife to Home Depot to look at flooring and if we have time. We are going to go to Bed, Bath & Beyond. ;)

Seriously, I am looking forward to watching this one again.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I picked up the unrated ws version this week. I can't tell what's been added since I haven't seen the original cut but nothing in the film seemed to be too over the top for an R rating.

It's a pretty packed disc but there is no insert which i'm sure will annoy many.

The disc features a nice 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer. I didn't notice any flaws however, the layer change takes place during scenes of dialog which is rather annoying.

There's about 13+ minutes of deleted / alternate scenes presented in anamorphic widescreen (Nothing spectacular here)

The disc also features a Commentary by Director Todd Phillips, Will Ferrell, Luke Wilson and Vince Vaughn

A 21 minute spoof of Inside The Actor's Studio.

Old School Orientation (13 minute making of)

5 minutes of outtakes / bloopers (non-anamorphic)

Trailers / TV Spots (all bunched together)

Sneak Peeks - trailers for Biker Boyz and The Fast and the Furious: Tricked Out Edition.

Audio:
English 5.1 Dolby Digital
English 2.0 Dolby Surround
English DTS Surround
French 5.1 Dolby Digital

Subtitles:
English, French, Spanish
English commentary, French commentary, Spanish commentary

2 easter eggs:

In the main menu: Select Live Music for what looks to be an extended Snoop Dog performance.

In the setup menu: Select Ask Frank for another deleted scene.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Hey, thanks, man. I wonder how much has been put back in the film? Seconds/Minutes?
I'm hoping the unrated material will be more than just Will Ferrell streaking.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Finally! A review from film site darkhorizons.com. It's no good posting the link because it's buried in a very long page, so here it is for those who are waiting:

DVD REVIEW: Much like "Road Trip", the previous film of Director Todd Phillips, this is an 'unrated' edition although I couldn't spot any differences from the theatrical version - the sole breast shots in the film (the KY wrestling scene) are the main menu so tit fans will be in heaven. The transfer is solid work, nothing special of course just the same high standards you'd expect from any modern release and pretty much no sign of artifacts or grain. Audio makes better use of surround than expected but its still a comedy and still front heavy but dialogue does get a bit quiet at times. The commentary is actually a let down - Phillips talks the most and has a laugh but everyone else is all too quiet and serious - especially Vaughn & Ferrell.

There's eight deleted scenes - several good laughs with Piven doing a thorough inspection of the frat, Wilson and a flight attendant trying to book a flight, a longer version of the locker room pep-up meeting, and Wilson and Vaughn having a fun discussion about the former's sleeping with a minor. The others don't work so well - Vaughn and his wife fighting in their car before leading to an extended version of the scene where the girl hits on Vaughn, a pre-party preparation meeting, Ferrell declaring love for his doll and Wilson visiting Piven's mansion. "Inside the Actors Studio Spoof" has Ferrell in make-up hosting a patchily-funny satire of the famed all too serious talkshow talking with himself, his two co-stars and director Todd Phillips.

After some creative stuff its odd to see the generic behind-the-scenes puff piece entitled "Old School Orientation" which is basically an extended 15-minute commercial with lots of sound bites and clips. The few glimpses of on-set video is good but certainly not enough. There's a five minute outtakes reel which is more cut scenes and light bloopers than anything else - Ferrell & Vaughn have some fun comments about 'Blue' whilst Piven goofs off well and there's even an almost disturbing bit of child psychological abuse thrown in for good measure. There's also the trailer for this, three TV spots, filmmography lists for the major cast & crew, production notes, and short previews for Dreamworks films such as "Biker Boyz", "Head of State" & the "Fast & The Furious: Tricked Out Edition" DVD. A few really good extras and a fun film. - Garth Franklin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks