What's new

any Official "The One" reviews? (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I haven't seen Jet Li's "The One" yet, but i'm eagerly awaiting someone here to post a review of the DVD release. Any takers?

Michael Dehaven

Stunt Coordinator
87 minutes of made for TV badness. Everytime this film gets something right it is followed with shake your head dumb ass writing of the worst kind. I love Jet Li and it is painful to see him in such low grade crap. Every cliche you never wanted to see again is here, ad-nauseum. Please someone put Jet in a real film, please.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I am going to dissagree.
I am a Jet Li fan as well.
I love this movie (and Kiss of the dragon too!).
I thought the video was very good, Audio ROCKED with a twang of METAL(just the way I like it), the action was great (expecially the Li on Li Battle). A rollercoaster movie.
Ending was a little weak but nothing is perfect. I cant wait to watch it again:)
My System:
Mits 65905 (Chuck Williams ISF'd)
Onkyo TXDS989
B&W DM630 mains
B&W HTM2 Center
CSW 5.1 side surrounds
CSW 5.1 sat rears
Sonosub
Soundstream monoblock THX for sub
Behringer FBD pro 1124p
Panasonic H1000 DVD
Monarchy audio DIP 24/96
Pioneer CLD-704 LD player
Sony MD player
JVC VCR(who cares)
Dish Network 6000 w/tuner
panamax 1000+
Marc

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
A review from A Guy Who Just Likes To Watch Movies:
I enjoyed it. I'd seen it before as it reminded me of Time Cop in a lot of ways and a couple other films that I can't remember at this time but overall, I liked it.
The transfer was clean and sharp
Pretty cool Special Features (No Deleted Scenes though:frowning:!)
The soundtrack ROCKED The HOUSE (both music and surround activity)!
The special effects were pretty cool
Carla Gugino was in the movie!
It was Science Fiction
Things Blew up a lot!
Citizen Kane, it's not. Then again, I'm not nearly as hard to please as the other 97% of the Forum and I don't mind a "Popcorn Flick" at all so if you don't fit either of these two descriptions, find more reviews that seem to fit your taste.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it for what it was, a sci-fi, action, effects movie [popcorn movie]. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't watch movies like this for "art", I watch them to be entertained. Heck, I don't watch any movies for their artistic value. Anyhow, I love Jet Li and martial arts films and this one filled the bill. Definitely no Fist of Legend but it was good.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I love Jet Li, and I applaud his efforts to try to break into western filmmaking, but in a way, I think I would have liked The One had he not been in it. This movie has so much CGI that they didnt even really need a talented martial artist to play the lead. They probably could have gotten any flexible male actor to do everything he did in this movie. Every fight scene has a million jump cuts that it reminds me of an MTV music special.

I did like the movie for what it was, but I think I just had a little too high of expectations when I found out Jet Li was going to be in it.

JoeDeM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I knew what to expect, and it met my expectations, it kept me entertained, low on character development and high on action. It has replay value for me, but it's no Matrix.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Thanks for the input on this dvd. I was about to go to lunch and buy it right now and found this thread. I will rent it first.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

Good idea. I never buy a DVD without seeing the movie first. It would just irk me to know I spent all the money on a movie I'll only watch once, so I tend to be very selective with my DVD purchases. While I enjoyed "The One", I probably won't be buying it for my collection.

Alex

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
As a fan of the martial arts, Jet Li, Carla Gugino, and Sci-Fi...I wish I hadn't bought this DVD. I should have rented it first. The movie had some cool scenes, but many of the effects were "iffy". The movie itself reminded me of a wannabe Matrix. I thought the disc was pretty good with some nice extras though. I do wish there were some deleted scenes. Bottom line:

RENT IT FIRST!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Well I just got done with watching The One. And I do have to say that I was thoroughly entertained. I really enjoyed this flick. Great action, cool guns, lots of cool special effects, great soundtrack, Jet Li kicking butt plus one bad ass 1st Gen Camaro! What was not to like about this movie? My home theater was was definately getting a workout with this film. The surrounds were great! I actually rented this one when I saw some of the replies to this post. I wish I would have gone with my first instinct and just bought it. Anyway, just wanted to put my 2 cents in on a movie I thought was very enjoyable. My only complaint was thatit was way too short.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Even though I enjoy most of Jet Li's movies, I almost didn't rent The One because I thought it would be nothing new. I was wrong. Yeah, it's just an action movie, not too much work for the brain here, but it's FUN.
I thought the Matrix scenes were basically as good as the Matrix scenes in The Matrix itself, and they were better in many ways because they were different. Jet Li fighting three or four guys and kicking one while he's in the air in slow-motion and then racing over to hit the other guy again before he hits the ground... pretty cool effects. And Jet Li fighting himself was very believable.
If for nothing else, this movie should be rented just to see Jet Li swing two police motorcycles around like baseball bats, as well as The Great Kamikaze Hamster Escape scene. Oh man, I laughed so hard at that. Now that's good TV! :D
Btw, I watched the movie in full-screen and then rewatched it in 16:9. I noticed nothing that I would consider any big deal either way. If someone wants to carry the flag for how bad all full-screen movies are, please tell me any big differences between 4:3 and 16:9 for this movie.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I got stuck watching this at a friend's house recently and have to say this is the worst movie I have seen in a very long time.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I was pleasantly surprised by "The One". Maybe it was just my mood, but I found it a great way to spend of couple of hours. My wife even liked it, and she's doesn't like "martial art" movies.

I'm pretty tired of the ubiquitous rap music/hip Hollywood action movie pairings, so I found the aggressive metal soundtrack in "The One" to be a very welcome change.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Btw, I watched the movie in full-screen and then rewatched it in 16:9. I noticed nothing that I would consider any big deal either way. If someone wants to carry the flag for how bad all full-screen movies are, please tell me any big differences between 4:3 and 16:9 for this movie.
Please go outside if you need to fart. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks