What's new

Any Nina Simone fans here? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i was just typing about the 'point of no return' soundtrack and it made me remember that there's about 4 songs from her on it.

i think the music is great. i love her soulful voice...she seems so depressed. perfect music for those melancholy times!

i've been wanting to pick up some of her stuff, but there's several compilation albums out there...each a little different. i think some are on different labels too.

so...does anyone have any recommendations? i'm not necessarily looking for compilation stuff, just a great album!

tia

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
She sure looks damned hip, but I've yet to give her a shot. My mom used to listen to her back in the day, and is very happy her music is so prevalent on cd. All I can say is that while Christmas shopping I came across at least two double album cds from way back. I also am not a big fan of compilations, and was very tempted to pick these up and give her a try, but, I was being good.
I think these were the ones I saw...
B0000047B9.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pastel Blues/Let It All Hang Out
B0000047BB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wild Is the Wind/High Priestess of the Soul
From Amazon's Editorial review...
Most of Nina Simone's Phillips records (cut from 1964 through '67) are available in a series of single-CD two-fers: In Concert/I Put a Spell on You, Pastel Blues/Let it All Out, and Wild Is the Wind/High Priestess of Soul. All are worthwhile, though this collection of small-combo recordings is particularly consistent and cohesive. The Pastel Blues portion of the CD features the backing of a quartet led by stalwart Simone accompanist Al Shackman. Highlighted by the aching "End of the Line," a riveting cover of Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit," and the 10-minute-plus "Sinnerman," this is prime studio Nina. The remaining 10 cuts include three live selections. Simone's vaunted eclecticism is in evidence in the Let It All Out portion of the package, with Bob Dylan's grim (and then nearly new) "Ballad of Hollis Brown" abutting Irving Berlin's "This Year's Kisses." --Steven Stolder
One of these days, I'll get around to checkin' these out.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
cool ben! i wasn't aware of these double-album configs. looks like i'll have to do some more research! sounds like the pastel blues combo might do the trick!

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
You haven't heard? But oh! that's right. You can't hear above that Norah Jones you been playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks