What's new

Any news or reviews on H/K AVR8000 Flagship Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm back.. Took possession of the H/K 8000 on Friday.

Now, for everyones benefit, I upgraded from the H/K 7000 and I am using B&W CDM NT speakers throughout (no sub). I also calibrated all the sonic characteristics of the 8000 using my SPL meter. All my speakers are set to large with no sub.

-The 8000 definitely packs more technology than the 7000 and this is evident when peering into the chassis.

-The back of the 8000 sports what would appear to be gold plating everywhere (no where have I read that this is indeed gold-plating), new and better speaker binding posts, and a detachable power cord. More pleasing logical placement of inputs/outputs.

-The chassis (without looking at the specs) appears to be about the same dimensions as the 7000. It's just as heavy as the 7000, if not heavier.

-The front input/output array is now concealed behind a door. This door, once opened, revealed the only problem found thus far on my 8000 - a backing sticker (a label for each input/output) was not pressed against the chassis. It was floating about inside the little compartment behind the door. Before re-applying the sticker I noticed a smaller hidden compartment to the left of all the connectors. This featureless hole appears to be an upgrade path for any number of features. The hole is approx. 1.5cm x 1.5cm.

-The operation of the 8000 looks and feels just like the 7000 with added features.

-I've definitely notice a smoother & cleaner sound throughout all sources. Noticeably better punch as well.

-I still prefer Logic 7 (5.1 cinema) over DPLII & DTSNEO when using 2-channel TV viewing (Satellite).

-I've also come to enjoy THX processing on Dolby Digital 5.1 material over simple DD5.1 (DVD).

-Logic 7 decoding can be applied to digital sources including 5.1.

-The remote is longer and tapers down towards the bottom. Not very appealing to me. Feels top end heavy when pushing buttons on the bottom - probably because the batteries are on the top.

-The EZ-SET SPL feature of the remote in my trials was horrible. I ended up using my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter.

-The remote also does not have as strong a IR TX as the old 7000 remote. I'm having problems clicking away with this new remote - having to point directly at the components.

Well I auditioned oodles of material and infact while watching SW Episode 1 (DD5.1+THX) - I noticed that I was hearing things I never heard before. Things seemed to be more audible and tame compared to the 7000. The POD race scene sounded about the same as the 7000 but I think the THX processing brought other scenes to life or adds a more believable surround experience.

Things other flagship receivers might have over the 8000: RS232 control, Firewire, extra channels of amplification, software upgradeability (no known path for the 8000), better remote and probably a couple of other things I can't think of now.

I've always loved the smoothness of the Harman Kardon amps and when you toss in all the latest bells and whistles you've got yourself an awesome receiver. Congrats H/K.-gh

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Ok.. Confirmed gold plating. Harman Kardon's website mentions that the backpanel is gold plated.

Quote from Website:

high-grade, gold-plated, color-coded rear-panel connections; and a detachable IEC power cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks