Any news on when we may get Initial D released in the US?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Speicher, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Tim_Speicher

Tim_Speicher Stunt Coordinator

Being a fan of the import scene, I have been a big fan of the anime Initial D since the very first eposide I saw. I heard a while back that TokyoPop (GTO) had aquired the rights to Initial D and where planning on releasing it stateside. However, that has been some time ago and I have not heard anything else regarding a US release. Does anyone out there happen to have some information?

Thanks!

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They have a TV deal, and any DVD release would be after that. Given the butchery they've made of the manga, I'm going to say be afraid.

3. Tim_Speicher

Tim_Speicher Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    I have heards some murmurs about them butchering the names of the characters and even having Takumi delivering pizza, instead of Tofu!
    [​IMG]
    If they butcher the name, hopefully it won't affect the subbed version... However, if they changed Takumi's role, that would be very dissappointing, indeed. [​IMG]

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The names are likely going to be Americanized in the dub for some reason, a real step backward when the rest of the industry keeps them intact.

TP has said that the sub version will be intact, I'll believe it when I see it