What's new

Any news on TNE NUNS STORY and SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN? (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I watched The Nun's Story last night, and I was very pleased, overall, with its look and sound. It didn't look "brown" to me, but subtly colored and textured.

One note: this DVD picture fills my 16:9 screen, which means the picture is 1.77:1. This makes me happy because I have a plasma with potential burn-in problems, but the ratio is different than the reported 1.85:1.

If the matte has been slightly opened up, then I think it's perfectly fine. I've noticed some other recent disks have been doing the same thing (opening the matte on flat films to fill the 16:9 screen).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

A lot of people keep sweating over 1.78:1 and 1.85:1. It's basically gaining 9 lines of resolution on the top and bottom. You're basically looking at a 2% difference. Insignificant.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Yes, I recognize it's insignificant. It was just something I've noted in the last year or so. Previously, 1.85:1 films on DVD would show black at the top or bottom, representing those extra lines.

I'm happy either way, but thought it was my HTF duty to point out the change.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I thought "The Nun's Story" looked fine. One reason I thought the print was so good: for the first time I could actually read the list of "imperfections" that Sister Luke has to write down in her little black notebook ("I accuse myself of slamming a door", etc.) Next time I watch it, I'll freeze-frame that shot and read them all.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I got this box set yesterday.
SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN - Color seemed fine, but not the best I've seen this look. The sound seemed less brilliant than on the laser transfer.

Miracle of Fatima - this looked and sounded great.
The music during the opening credits has been fixed. The laser version had incorrect music here.

Nuns Story - this is the best looking and sounding Nuns Story we have had on video.
One bad thing. The film opens with several individual bells during the Warner logo. The bells and Warner logo have been taken out and replaced with a new Warner Logo that plays as time goes by !! Then the credits start but you can stil here the end of the ringing bell that was replaced !!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks