What's new

Any news on the beatles release of "let it be" this year? (1 Viewer)

Jay*W

Second Unit
Actually, I've heard that Apple bought the rights to THE COMPLEAT BEATLES for the sole purpose of taking it off the market permanently. A real shame -- I agree with Nathan that it's the best general introduction to the Beatles that I've come across yet.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I was fortunate enough to see "Let It Be" first run in Hollywood. Even though it meant the end, it was still very enjoyable.

The rumor that came out last year about this movie also said that it was going to be a 3 disk edition, and that can only mean a ton of extras. I hope that it is true.

Regarding "Imagine", I was into DVD when that was supposed to come out, but it never did. Some sort of a documentary came out about it, but didn't include the actual movie. Weird!

Gee, instant moneymakers! What are they waiting for?

Glenn

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I found a copy of LIB and Help! at Hollywood Video. I wasn't a big fan of Help! (or MMT for that matter) because I just didn't get into the plot (or lackthereof in MMT). LIB on the other hand focused on the music which is why I prefer it. But it's been years since I've seen any of those three--AHDN is watched much more frequently, although I prefer Beatles documentaries to the movies.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The film IMAGINE JOHN LENNON is owned by Warner Brothers, and unless things have changed, they're the ones who'd have to release it to DVD.

As for the Beatles' movies, HELP! has always been by favorite. Just a really fun and colorful zany romp, with great music.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The 1988 film Imagine John Lennon, produced by Andrew Solt and released by Warner, was released on DVD in the late 90s. It is long out of print. The other documentary film Imagine was released a few years ago, and is a program about the making of the album Imagine. They're separate projects.

I have the MPI Help and Magical Mystery Tour DVDs, and they're fun, but the films could look better. Help is a better movie than it is given credit for, although Hard Day's Night is still the best, IMO. You could make the argument that Help was the template for the Monkees' TV show. Anyone know if the Making of AHDN is on DVD?

Let It Be can be a revelation, if you are a Beatles fan. Yes, the film is a bit of a downer, but if you really want to understand your Beatles history, it is essential. You can practically watch the band break up on screen. The final rooftop concert is a final moment of glory.

While we're discussing Beatle films, lets not forget Yellow Submarine, which was released in a fine DVD edition 6 years ago from MGM. Not sure if this is still in print. There were rumors last year that the Beatles 1965 cartoon show would make it to DVD too.

I didn't know Apple bought The Compleat Beatles and is keeping it from the market. This is a great documentary. I'll have to dig out my old CED copy one of these days.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for confirming my memory. I was worried I'd missed it somehow, and was going to have to go on a long, expensive journey to track down a copy.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator

I think only Paul doesn't come off looking that great. I would think he was the one holding it back.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Paul's quite bossy in the film, but I admire that at least he was trying to keep the band together amidst all odds.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Remember, though, that The Beatles did have a major "true" final success after the Get Back/Let It Be phase: the album Abbey Road.

And I agree with the sentiments expressed about The Compleat Beatle: What is arguably the best-ever documentary done about the best-ever band is under lock and key. Why the survivors do not want it in release is a mystery. The band is properly revered in the presentation.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's funny you should mention THE COMPLEAT BEATLES. I bought the VHS in 1982 and back then I thought it was something special. However, I popped it on for the first time in many years recently and I thought it was pretty poor, especially alongside THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY. I mean, there were hardly any vintage clips even used for THE COMPLEAT BEATLES!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yet it tells a story that resonates. I last saw it, oh, about three or four years ago. It still shines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks