Any news on Sony STR-DA5ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Schwabacher, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

I thought this receiver was supposed to be out in September, yet I haven't heard one word about it. I'm curious to see what features it'll really have, considering that only Crutchfield's website makes mention of DPL-II, DTS-ES discrete, and DTS Neo: 6. Sony's press release never made mention of any of those features, which led me to believe that the receiver would only use Sony's proprietary algorithm to extract rear-center-channel information.
    ------------------
    Check out my HT pics and my DVD list !
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C!

2. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Crutchfield is listing it in their sony store.
    Marc

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, haven't seen you here in awhile. Crutchfield has information on the 'DA5ES on its web site, but doesn't have it in stock. I haven't heard when it will be available. You may want to call Oade Bros. to see if they know when it will be available. I would be curious to hear what they will be selling it for. In any event, the 'DA5ES looks to be a great receiver.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

Hey Keith!
    Yep, I haven't been posting too much recently (I just bought a new Corvette, so my HT stuff has been on the back burner [​IMG]). Actually, I have a 'DA5ES pre-ordered from Oade for a tentative price of $925. I haven't heard from them, though, so I'm pretty sure the receiver hasn't shipped yet. I'll tell you one thing...if it doesn't have the features listed above, I won't be buying it!!
    ------------------
    Check out my HT pics and my DVD list !
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

$925 for the 'DA5ES?! Wow! I know Oade Bros. discounts Sony ES products heavily, but I had no idea they would have a $1500 receiver for only $925. Gee whiz. You ought to call Oade Bros. and speak to Jim Oade. Jim would likely know the specs. on the 'DA5ES. Speaking of which, do you, by chance, know how much the 'DA5ES is supposed to weigh? I would consider replacing my STR-V444ES with it, but I wonder how much it will weigh. The shelves in my entertainment center can only hold 40 lbs., so at 37.5 lbs., the 'V444ES is fine. If I were to get the 'DA5ES and it were a behemoth, I would have to do some rearranging, which would not be fun. Just thinking out loud here. [​IMG]
    Enjoy the new Corvette. Although not quite the same, I bought a 2001 Honda Accord V-6 coupe in July and am having a lot of fun with it.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime