Any news on Sony ES SACD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Morris, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

I've searched the forums and seen that Sony seems to be discontinuing all their SACD products, and even my own dealer said he couldn't get anything...
    So what's the deal? Where are the new product announcements?

I'm on the verge of buying a CD player... but if something like the 777ES is going to be launched at a lower price, then I'd be all over that...

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, there has been no news of new SACD players coming from Sony. The word of late is that the 'C555ES changer has been discontinued. The CES is coming up in January, so maybe Sony will make some announcements of new players then. Of course, we were all hoping for that at CEDIA recently and came away disappointed. [​IMG]

3. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm... well, I think I'll wait until CES at least. Surely Sony won't leave their lineup without SACD players for long... particularly when they're pushing SACD so much.
    And besides... I just bought the new remastered Rolling Stones Hot Rocks. [​IMG]

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Right now I'm very happy with my 775.

But I do have my ear out for any new players from Sony ES that do more for less.

I'd love to have a XA777ES but thats too rich for my blood.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, bear in mind that Sony is still producing DVD/SACD players. The DVP-NS755V and 'NS999ES are in production at present. The 'NS900V is still available through dealers, but I'm not sure it is still in production.

Sony also has two integrated components available that combine 5.1-channel receivers with DVD/SACD players. One is the AVD-S50ES, which has a single-disc player, and the other is the AVD-C70ES, which has a five-disc carousel changer. I am concerned about the quality of the receiver and DVD/SACD player sections in these components since integrated components usually suffer design compromises that adversely affect performance.

Unfortunately, Sony seems to have practically given up on producing non-DVD SACD players. The 'XA777ES is still in production, but it seems as though the other models have been discontinued.