Any News on Russ Meyer Classic "Films" to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by James_L, Jan 25, 2004.

1. James_L

James_L Agent

Anyone know if they are going to be put out on DVD?

I saw one of these movies the other night and I was blown away by the creative use of dialouge and Women [​IMG]

Anyone have any Information?

2. Jeff McMillan

Jeff McMillan Stunt Coordinator

Check his website : rmfilms.com

There you can buy overpriced MAR versions of a few of his movies. Besides this and the French PAL discs (MAR as well), there isn't anything yet.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The only Meyer flick that you can expect to be done up correctly in the near future is the forthcoming special edition of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, which is coming from Fox or Criterion as mentioned at the last Fox chat.

As Jeff mentioned, DVDs are available from Meyer's website for some of his films, but these are all fullscreen (open matte), and I have seen no reviews as to the quality of the transfers, though I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the DVDs are from the same transfrs as the LDs. The laserdisc versions that Image released covered the majority of his work, but were less expensive than the DVDs in that they came two or three films per title. I will be pretty disappointed if any DVD release of the three Vixen films don't include the commentary tracks from the LD box set, which are priceless.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Russ should unlock the vaults, and make some money off these titles. Have NO idea what he could possibly be waiting for. As he is NOT getting any younger!

5. James_L

James_L Agent

I seen his website.

I don't count MAR releases as releases..

OAR or Not at all [​IMG]

Thanx for the info, I missed that at the fox chat!

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Just an FYI if you haven't seen it, but Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is NOT your typical Russ Meyer flick, if you know what I mean. [​IMG]

7. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    I think some research should be done to determine if this are truly MAR releases or not. It wasn't uncommon for adult theatres to run all their material in 1:33 since the films were from a variety of sources and not neccesarily designed for 1:85 projection.

Many of the outlaw filmmakers of the time were not shooting films for the neighborhood bijou!

Surely someone out there worked the adult circuit many years ago and could fill us in.

For those of you who understand what open-matte is, keep in mind one thing - Open matte = more tits ![​IMG]

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Got this information from Donald Brown. Note these will be R2 discs so you'd have to have a multi-region player:

Russ Meyer Vixen Box Digitally Remastered
    A 8-DVD boxed set containing "Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" (Disc 1), "Vixen" (Disc 2), "Supervixens" (Disc 3), "Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens" (Disc 4), "Up!" (Disc 5), and "Good Morning... And Goodbye!" (Disc 6), "Pandora Peaks" (Disc 7), and a bonus disc including trailers, staff & cast bios, footage from Russ Meyer Film Festival, and more.
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BBBF-9093

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It is also worth noting that, from what I heard from Image when the LDs came out, Meyer is the one who wanted full frame transfers.

Also a quick check of Russ' website indicates the thre Vixen films are now available on DVD, but there are NO commentaries. Glad I still have my LD box set.

10. James_L

James_L Agent

seems like R2 gets alot of things, since the people who have the rights here wait until a remake is made to release them on DVD.

Its a shame it costs so much to import these from R2.