Any news on Rocky VI / Rambo IV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanHaya, Jul 29, 2002.

1. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

I remember that late last year Sylvester Stallone mentioned on his website that he was working on stories for new installments of Rocky AND Rambo. He said something to the effect that after 9/11, he came up with a really cool idea for a Rambo IV (like we didn't see that one coming! lol). But, I haven't heard any more about it since. Does anyone know if he's still working on these films or are they dead? Just curious.

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I think Sly must have come to his senses...

3. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Let's hope not![​IMG] I haven't heard anything beyond Stallone toying with the idea. I got the impression the studio told him no. Don't know whether that is true, but if it is, it would be the first time in a long time a studio has had the balls to say no to a sequel.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Stallone no longer has the clout he once had to get these sequels made, that's why studios are saying no.

However, I did hear a concept for a Rambo IV a few years ago which had Johnny infiltrating a militia group and running into Brian Dennehy's character. That sounded interesting and would be small enough to make it less of a financial risk, but I still doubt Stallone can get the green light.

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I actually though Rocky should have been stopped after two. So I wouldn't want to see another Rambo. First Blood is a good film. Rambo is a pretty good film. Rambo III is decent at best. That's the best I'm willing to say about it.

Stallone needs to try smaller roles, character driven roles. He's really a pretty good actor. But he stars in these mindless, terrible retreads, which are basically the same story and plot over and over. He needs some more Cop Land type roles, if he can get any offered to him. He was very good in that. In fact, I loved his performance in that film.

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    And what in the name of God was he thinking with Driven!? [​IMG]

7. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

ashes to ashes ...

8. Russell B

Russell B Stunt Coordinator

I would rather see him do a Over The Top 2.[​IMG]

9. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

I read an interview with Sly a few months back, in which he actually admitted that studios told him that he needed to prove his value at the box office again, before they would entertain sequels to either of these films.

I was really impressed with his honesty about the situation. He could have easily said that he wasn't interested in doing the sequels, and left it at that.

And considering the fact that Sly is rumored to have quite an ego, I wonder if that humbled him a bit?

10. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    You mean Lincoln Hawk: Over The Top Part II.