What's new

Any News On Re-Releasing 1994's THE SHADOW? (1 Viewer)

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I absolutely LOVE this film and am disappointed that (as usual) the DVD is available only in full-frame.

Has anyone heard anything about Universal re-releasing THE SHADOW in widescreen? Possibly even with a commentary track?

That would just make my day. :D

Mr. Jim

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've not heard of an OAR release of this one either. I'd certainly pick it up when available. UNIVERSAL is pretty weird these days.

-Mike

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm bringing this back up because... I'm really in the mood to watch this movie... but can't... because I don't own it... because Universal decided to sabotage higher potential dvd sales by tampering with the aspect ratio and releasing it in pan & scan.

What are the chances that a re-release will surface any time soon, oar and dts track?

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I'd buy a widescreen DVD of this movie in a heartbeat. Great Goldsmith score! :) In the meantime I guess I'll have to put up with the (admittedly good) laserdisc.

John

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there is Travis, it's supposedly quite rare.

Unfortunately, I don't own a laserdisc player though...

Patrick H.

Second Unit
With Universal spitting out various catalog remasters seemingly at random (The Thing, October Sky, Dune), I have slight hopes that they'll get to this one at some point. Seriously, a bare-bones disc with a new anamorphic transfer and the DTS track would be all it'd take for me to buy it. I remember seeing this on a double bill with Stargate, and after Stargate this seemed like Citizen Kane. It's just a fun, old-fashioned romp, with GREAT production design and a good cast (always kinda liked Penelope Ann Miller). Plus that sublime Goldsmith score...that one was good 'n loud!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Same here...still waiting because THE SHADOW knows!!!
This was an early DTS viewing at the cinema.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
count me in for wanting a R1 WS version. and I don't really care for extras, I just want the movie! All I have is what I recorded off of NBC a few years ago.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
It's been a while since I watched my R4 1:85 copy, but I thought it was supposed to be a wider aspect ratio...IIRC, the opening credits on the R4 DVD are wider than the feature.

Shall have to check, methinks.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
ALOT can be done to this film to warrant an immediate purchase from me. Anamorphic, high definition transfer for starters. 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratio, from radio to comic and pulp to film, a history of the various incarnations of The Shadow throughout the decades, Director Russell Mulcahy commentary, Alec Baldwin commentary, isolated score and alot of other features which would give this film it's much needed DVD "update".
A 2-Discer would be great.;)
If I was in charge of production on this DVD, I'd give it the respect and features it deserves. Extensive interviews, deleted scenes. 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS, elaborate and beautiful menus, easter eggs... Basically an Ultimate Edition in the calibre of LEGEND, but of course have the second disc relegated to all the extra features besides the commentaries and isolated score.

Valerie

Auditioning
This is a favorite of mine, too. I remember seeing it at least 3 or 4 times in the theaters back in 1994.

I did buy the pan & scan DVD, but only after someone had it on sale for $9.99. I just couldn't stand not having it in my collection any longer. I'd be happy with any extras I can get (a commentary and a making-of featurette would be tops on my list, however). I would also like to see some deleted scenes, because I know there is at least one important one that is sort of an irritant every time I watch the film. It takes place after Lamont and Margot have first met and eaten at the Chinese restaurant. The cab pulls up to her apartment and they say goodnight...but they originally had a kiss before she walked up to her door. That is the part that's been cut. It was in the novelization of the film. I'm sure there were other scenes that didn't survive the final cut, but that is the one that I notice.

If I could choose just one other extra to include it would be the music video of the song "Original Sin" performed by Taylor Dayne during the end credits. I always liked that song and remember Entertainment Tonight showing part of it when they had a special program all about the film just before it opened.

I'm happy to see there are other fans of this movie besides me. I always thought it kind of got bumb rap from critics and moviegoers alike when it came out. Guess people just didn't appreciate a 1930's styled movie in the mid nineties. Sigh! Hopefully Universal will eventually give this film the proper DVD treatment which it deserves!

BrentWW

Agent
Count me in as someone who would like to see this movie released in OAR. An underrated movie IMHO, and hard to believe thats Sir Ian McKellan as Dr. Lane!

Oh and FYI.. I know this is not much consolation considering the disc is full-frame, but there
is a DTS release of this movie on DVD, I've seen it locally. It looks like the standard release but of course with a DTS logo and "Digital Surround Sound" along the top.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
Quote: Guess people just didn't appreciate a 1930's styled movie in the mid nineties.
----------------------------

Or the mid 2000s either, if Sky Captain's box office is anything to go by. :)

Anyway, I checked my copy last night, and the reason the opening credits are wider is because they are windowboxed. Strangely, the aspect ratio still seems to be different during the windowboxed section than it is during the rest of the film.

AmitS

Grip
I've been waiting for this one a long time... but if they were to re-release it, they simply MUST put both the teaser and full trailer on the disc. My memory of it may be severely rosy, but I remember the teaser being one of the best teasers I've ever seen.

I never saw the full trailer in theaters, but caught the last 40 seconds of it on Entertainment Tonight, with the credits rolling and Mary Hart talking over it... and it was still awesome.

Always thought they did a bad marketing job w/the film... such great trailers, yet neither was attached to The Flintstones, Universal's big hit that spring. (I saw the teaser w/Schindler's List that year... not the same target audience).

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
I'd actually like to see it again but I remember the film having almost no climax. Tim Curry seemingly goes crazy for no reason and the Shadow stands to face off with the evil Mongolian guy where lots of glass and mirrors break (in typical Mulcahy fashion) and that is the end of the movie.

The script was pretty witty and the movie did look pretty incredible. Why does Mulcahy always throw in a suicide joke into his films?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks