What's new

Any news on Raging Bull:SE? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Brian*D

Auditioning
This is great great news... I've only seen Raging Bull (my favorite Scorsese film)... how are the others in the box set by comparison?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Well, take it off. DVDanswers.com is reporting that MGM have delayed both SEs of Raging Bull and New York, New York - and therefore the whole box - until at least February 2005.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
[url=http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=13125]http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=13125[/url]

New street date: 8th February 2005

Raging Bull: 2-disc SE ($29.98 SRP)

1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

English Stereo and 5.1 Surround

French and Spanish Mono

English, French and Spanish subtitles

3 Audio Commentaries Featuring Director Martin Scorsese, Editor Thelma Schoonmaker, Producer Irwin Winkler, Jake La Motta and More

4 Behind-The-Scenes Featurettes

"The Bronx Bull" Making-of Documentary

De Niro vs. La Motta Shot-by-Shot Comparison

"La Motta Defends Title" Newsreel Footage

1-disc movie-only edition: $14.95 SRP

New York, New York ($14.95 SRP)

1.66:1 Letterbox (Non-Anamorphic)

English Mono & DD5.1 Surround

Spanish Mono

English, French and Spanish subtitles

An introduction with Martin Scorsese

Audio Commentary by Director Martin Scorcese and Film Critic Carrie Rickey

Alternate Takes

Deleted Scenes

Photo Gallery

Theatrical Trailer & Teaser

Scorsese boxed set: $49.96 SRP

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yes, DVDAnswers has February 8th as well. But according to DVDTimes, January 11th is the date for reissues of Boxcar Bertha and The Last Waltz.

Real Name
Anthony
There's a different NY,NY coming out in R2 in June. Here are the specs :

Double Disc Set - Special Features

Audio Commentary By Director Martin Scorsese And Film Critic Carrie Rickey

New Documentary 'The New York, New York Stories' - 2 Part Documentary Focusing On Producing, Editing, Cinematography & Includes New Interview With Martin Scorsese

Liza On New York, New York

Alternative Takes / Deleted Takes

Deleted Scenes

Photo Gallery

Storyboard

Release Date: 06/13/05

I'm sure this is an MGM release, so I can't figure out why they wouldn't be including the documentary and the Liza Minnelli int. on the R1 edition. If the int with Scorsese is new, why would they not licence that for the U.S ? Bizarre.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
There's already a review of it on one of the DVD review sites. I would give a link to it, but last time I did that one of the mods removed it.

All in all, it looks like MGM got everything right.

Real Name
Anthony
I think you're allowed to post a link to a review along as it isn't in an Official Review thread, Dave. Isn't that right ? I've certainly followed many links to reviews.

UPDATE : Actually I found them via dvd-basen, the review search engine. The NY,NY review doesn't cover the extras, but says the transfer's fine. There's one for RAGING BULL on another site which is more in-depth, and is pretty much a rave - 9/10.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Here is the review Dave from Michigan is refering to: http://dvd.ign.com/articles/581/581292p1.html

Yes, it sounds like MGM have done a damn fine job on this set.

I love almost all of Scorsese's films, but Raging Bull is something special indeed. It's one of the best films ever made about the complexity of the Self and the fickle nature of success. I'm sure it has been noted by many critics, although I can't be certain, but I have always felt that it is very similar to Citizen Kane. Angry, humourous and beautifully presented, Raging Bull is a stone classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks