Any News on Outlaw 950?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Yung, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Is it in beta yet? When is it going to be released? How come Outlaw is not updating their web site to keep us informed?

2. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't sound good to me either. I myself don't think that it'll be available in October, maybe December/January or, God forbid, never?
    Razvan

3. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I wouldn't be surprised if their having software problems. (Just a hunch).

4. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I thought you guys might be a little hard on Outlaw...but I went back and reread the July update. In the last update they stated the beta sign up & assignments would begin in August. And the "wait list" for purchase would begin after labor day. Now, I'd have a hard time being critical of missing the purchase sign up....but the beta testing sign up deadline has come and gone.....I too smell trouble. I really hope I'm wrong.
    Ron
    PS: I sent an email (as I'm sure many have) asking for an update.

5. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Does anyone remember when this pre/pro was first announced???
    And has October been the only target shipping date??
    -- Cain
    ------------------

6. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I don't care if Outlaw is late with their release of the 950 as long as they are taking their time in order to do the job right. However if they did miss their beta deadline and the product is going to be released later then October then I think Outlaw has an obligation to let us know what's going on.

7. Razvan V

I was - and still am - interested in the 950 preamp but it seems to me that Outlaw isn't a serious company. They do have an obligation to keep their potential customers informed with regard to their new products and they're not doing that very well. There's an air of amateurism in the air at Outlaw and for a new small company that can be deadly.
    Razvan

8. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

"They do have an obligation to keep their potential customers informed with regard to their new products"
    whoa, talk about a sense of entitlement.
    I don't beleive any company is obligated to put a damn thing on their website. In fact most companies keep cards fairly close to their chest until they're ready to play them.
    There is preliminary info on the site, with some preliminary shipping estimates. I'm assuming when they are ready to sale it, there will be more informative sales material online.
    Your choices are to:
    a. wait until the damn thing is supposed to ship- doesnt it beta in October? whats your hurry?
    b. Buy somethign else if you need it that damn bad.
    Or I suppose you can look up their CEO's contact information and call him up, demand he drop everything (like prepping a product) to go update his website because rude consumers who MAY feel like buying a future product want more materials on the website NOW!
    Not to be harsh man, but you are sounding awful bitchy when you have no right too. If they sold you a bunk product and ignored your greivences, then you would have every right to refer to them as flaky. But to get pissy for not keeping a daily weblog of their development status- sounds like someone was an only child....

9. Razvan V

Hmmm... Is it that hard to update a site? Not to mention that it's amateurish and stupid not to do it.
    R

10. Will

Will Guest

11. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

duplicate post
    [Edited last by Patrick R. Sklenar on September 05, 2001 at 08:03 PM]

12. Patrick R. Sklenar

duplicate post
    [Edited last by Patrick R. Sklenar on September 05, 2001 at 08:04 PM]

13. Patrick R. Sklenar

14. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I'm not posting this e-mail response as a form of complaint on my part. I'm falling into the category of I'd rather they delay the product and get it right.
    Ron
    Below is Outlaw's response to my request for an update on the 950...
    Hello Ron,
    Thanks for contacting the Outlaws!
    In response to your inquiry, we are moving as rapidly as possible on the
    Model 950. Along the way we have encountered some software changes and
    modifications. For example, DTS has once again changed its code for Neo:
    6, and it is still not quite settled. Whether or not we can meet the
    October release date has become questionable. We are moving as fast as we
    can and are trying to avoid shipping it with any major mistakes.
    Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions you might have.
    Best Regards,
    Scott
    I appreciate Scott's straight forward response.

15. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Rob-
    I think it is up to a small company to have the best interest of the consumer in mind. Outlaw Audio is a SMALL company. They are not a well respected company because they are so small. They have produced 2 products in the history of the company, and that isn't enough clout for consumers to wait on the HOPES that something is going to come. For that reason it is Outlaw's responsibility to keep their web content fresh since they DON'T have a store presense. They CAN'T expect the hopes that the 950 will be the end all be all to make people stop before they purchase a denon,or a comparable reciever. I for one am not willing to wait and see so I decided to get a Marantz SR-6200. IF the 950 does come out and is a better reciever for the money I wouldn't be surprised at all, but at least I had an idea of when the SR-6200 was going to come out.

16. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I want to buffer that by saying then when I say respect, I mean cachet, not respect. Respect was a poor choice of words. I RESPECT Outlaw Audio and would buy one of their products in a heart beat, but they lack tradition, which means people take a wait and see attitude. instead of waiting and waiting.

17. Will

Will Guest

18. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Outlaw seems to be more responsive than most. The company premise and hype have been towards customer involvement. I think this is why most people who have decided to "partner" with Outlaw feel that it is only fair to receive feedback. As for the 950, two months ago, before everyone's new products hit the market would have been the optimal release date. Now they are losing potential customers daily. Everyone has waited patiently for the October release. If there is another delay their credibility will be seriously damaged. Nov.? Dec? 2002?
    I think I will go with a 4802 for now and worry about the upgrade sometime in the future. By then there will be more than just Outlaw to choose from.

19. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I emailed the guys over at Outlaw just this week. They still say October...
    Let's keep our fingers crossed guys....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]
    [Edited last by Steven Simon on September 05, 2001 at 10:47 PM]

20. Razvan V

I'm not interested in talking to anyone at Outlaw because I only have 2 questions and they can't answer either. 1st question: when's the release date? - they themselves don't seem to know that. 2nd question: how does the 950 compare to more expensive preamps SOUNDWISE? I don't expect them to answer that question either.
    About their credibility as a company: they've got to keep their potential customers informed and they've got to stick to the announced release dates. If you're not sure about a release date then don't announce it, it's that simple.
    Razvan